Minimize Mark-Up! Natural Writing Should Guide the Design of Textual Modeling Frontends
Designing and implementing modeling frontends for domains in which text is predominant (it may be informal, semi-formal or formal) can and should benefit from using the evolving standard mark-up languages (SMGML and XML), since standardization of interfaces, transmission and storage protocols as well as many valuable tools “come for free”.
But the idiosyncratics of the existing mark-up concepts neither provide a structure clean enough to serve as foundation for syntax and semantics of exact modeling frontends, nor do they offer an input format feasible for text-based data maintanance.
Direct Document Denotation (DDD) as presented in this paper tries to remedy these defects: (1) it abstracts from the rough edges of XML, (2) it realizes a practical frontend processor for denotation of structured documents with special considerations to disabled users and voice controlled input, — and (3) is described completely and mathematically precise as a small system of transformation relations.
The theoretical basics and practical issues of DDD are discussed and a case study is reported.
KeywordsData Acquisition Semi-Formal Data Accesibility inter language working XML Document Object Model DOM data binding SCHEMA
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Jeffrey H. Kingston. A New Approach in Document Formatting. http://snark.ptc.spbu.ru/~uwe/lout/overview.ps.gz, 1992.
- Jeffrey H. Kingston. The Lout Homepage. http://snark.ptc.spbu.ru/~uwe/lout/lout.html, 2000.
- Donald E. Knuth. The TEXbook. Addison-Wesley, 1987.Google Scholar
- Dongwon Lee and Wesley W. Chu. Comparative analysis of six xml schema languages. ACM SIGMOD record, 29(3), 2000.Google Scholar
- Makoto Murata, Dongwon Lee, and Murali Mani. Taxonomy of xml schema languages using formal language theory. In Extreme Markup Languages, http://www.cobase.cs.ucla.edu/tech-docs/dongwon/mura0619.ps, august 2001.
- Apache XML Project. Xerces Java Parser. Apache Software Foundation, http://xml.apache.org/xerces-j.
- J. M. Spivey. The Z Notation: A Reference Manual. Prentice Hall International Series in Computer Science, 2nd edition, 1992.Google Scholar
- Baltasar Trancon y Wideman, Markus Lepper, Jacob Wieland, and Peter Pepper. Automized generation of abstract syntax trees represented as typed dom xml. In Proceedings of the ICSE 2001 First International Workshop on XML Technologies and Software Engineering (XSE’01), 2001.Google Scholar
- Zacharias Musikversand, http://www.kirchennoten.de. DDD Generated Web Pages, 2000.