The Traveling Tournament Problem Description and Benchmarks
The Traveling Tournament Problem is a sports timetabling problem that abstracts two issues in creating timetables:home/away pattern feasibility and team travel. Instances of this problem seem to be very dificult even for a very small number of teams,making it an interesting challenge for combinatorial optimization techniques such as integer programming and constraint programming. We introduce the problem, describe one way of modeling it,and give some interesting classes of instances with base computational results.
KeywordsTravel Salesman Problem Constraint Programming Major League Baseball National League Travel Tournament Problem
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Applegate, D.R. Bixby, V. Chvatal,and W. Cook.1998. “On the solution of traveling salesman problems”, Documenta Mathematica Journal der Deutschen Mathematiker-Verinigung International Congress of Mathemeticians,645–656.Google Scholar
- 2.Barnhart, C., E.L. Johnson, G.L. Nemhauser, M.W.P. Savelsbergh,and P.H. Vance. 1998. “Branch-and-Price:Column Generation for Huge Integer Programs”, Operations Research 46:3,316–329.Google Scholar
- 3.Benoist, T.,F. Laburthe,and B. Rottembourg, 2001. “Lagrange relaxation and constraint programming collaborative schemes for traveling tournament problems”, CPAI-OR,Wye College,UK,15–26.Google Scholar
- 4.Campbell, R.T.,and D.S. Chen,1976. “A Minimum Distances Basketball Scheduling Problem”, in Optimal Strategies in Sports, S.P. Ladany and R.E Machol (eds.), North-Holland, Amsterdam, 32–41.Google Scholar
- 5.Henz, M.2001. “Scheduling a Major College Basketball Conference:Revisted”,Operations Research,49:1,.Google Scholar
- 6.Nemhauser, G.L. and M.A. Trick.1998. “Scheduling a Major College Basketball Conference”, Operations Research, 46, 1–8.Google Scholar
- 7.Russell, R.A. and J.M Leung.1994. “Devising a cost efective schedule for a baseball league”, Operations Research 42, 614–625.Google Scholar