Specific Filtering Algorithms for Over-Constrained Problems
In recent years, many constraint-specific filtering algorithms have been introduced. Such algorithms use the semantics of the constraint to perform filtering more efficiently than a generic algorithm. The usefulness of such methods has been widely proven for solving constraint satisfaction problems. In this paper, we extend this concept to overconstrained problems by associating specific filtering algorithms with constraints that may be violated. We present a paradigm that places no restrictions on the constraint filtering algorithms used. We illustrate our method with a complete study of the All-different constraint.
KeywordsConstraint Satisfaction Problem Primal Graph Filter Algorithm Deletion Condition Disjunctive Constraint
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. Ahuja, T. Magnanti, and J. Orlin. Networks flows: theory, algorithms, and applications. Prentice Hall, Inc., 1993.Google Scholar
- 4.R. Dechter. Constraint networks. Encyclopedia of Artificial Intelligence, pages 276–285, 1992.Google Scholar
- 5.L. Ford and D. Flukerson. Flows in networks. Princeton University Press, 1962.Google Scholar
- 9.T. Petit, J.-C. Régin, and C. Bessière. Meta constraints on violations for over constrained problems. Proceedings ICTAI, pages 358–365, 2000.Google Scholar
- 10.J.-C. Régin. A filtering algorithm for constraints of difference in CSPs. Proceedings AAAI, pages 362–367, 1994.Google Scholar
- 11.J.-C. Régin. Développement d’outils algorithmiques pour l’Intelligence Artificielle. Application á la Chimie Organique. Ph.D. Dissertation, Université Montpellier II, 1995.Google Scholar
- 12.J.-C. Régin. Generalized arc consistency for global cardinality constraint. Proceedings AAAI, pages 209–215, 1996.Google Scholar
- 13.J.-C. Régin, T. Petit, C. Bessiére, and J.-F. Puget. An original constraint based approach for solving over constrained prolems. Proceedings CP, pages 543–548, 2000.Google Scholar
- 14.T. Schiex. Arc consistency for soft constraints. Proceedings CP, pages 411–424, 2000.Google Scholar
- 15.G. Verfaillie, M. Lemaître, and T. Schiex. Russian doll search for solving constraint optimisation problems. Proceedings AAAI, pages 181–187, 1996.Google Scholar