The Phase Transition of the Linear Inequalities Problem
One of the most important problems in the polynomial class is checking the satisfiabilityof systems of linear inequalities over the rationals. In this paper, we investigate the phase-transition behavior of this problem by adopting a methodology which has been proved very successful on NP-complete problems. The methodology is based on the concept of constrainedness, which characterizes an ensemble of randomly generated problems and allows to predict the location of the phase transition in solving such problems. Our work complements and confirms previous results obtained for other polynomial problems. The approach provides a new characterization of the performance of the Phase I of the Simplex algorithm and allows us to predict its behavior on very large instances by exploiting the technique of finite size scaling.
KeywordsPhase Transition Constraint Satisfaction Problem Simplex Algorithm Size Scaling Finite Size Scaling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BBC+99]B. Bollobas, C. Borgs, J. Chayes, J. Kim, and D. Wilson. The scaling window of the 2-sat transition. Technical report, Microsoft Research, 1999.Google Scholar
- [Ber]Michel Berkelaar. LP Solve 3.2. Available at the URL: ftp://ftp.es.ele.tue.nl/pub/lp_solve/.
- [GMPS97]I. P. Gent, E. MacIntyre, P. Prosser, and P. Shaw. The constrainedness of arc consistency. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 1330:327–340, 1997.Google Scholar
- [GMPW95]I. P. Gent, E. MacIntyre, P. Prosser, and T. Walsh. Scaling effiects in the CSP phase transition. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 976:70–87, 1995.Google Scholar
- [GMPW96]Ian P. Gent, Ewan MacIntyre, Patrick Prosser, and Toby Walsh. The constrainedness of search. In Proceedings of the Thirteenth National Conference on Artificial Intelligence and the Eighth Innovative Applications of Artificial Intelligence Conference, pages 246–252, Menlo Park, August 4-8 1996. AAAI Press / MIT Press.Google Scholar
- [GS96]S. A. Grant and B. M. Smith. The arc and path consistencyphase transitions. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 1118:541–542, 1996.Google Scholar
- [HHWT97]T. A. Henzinger, P-H. Ho, and H. Wong-Toi. HYTECH: A model checker for hybrid systems. In Proc. 9th International Computer Aided Verification Conference, pages 460–463, 1997.Google Scholar