Shot Noise Induced Charge and Potential Fluctuations of Edge States in Proximity of a Gate
We evaluate the RC-time of edge states capacitively coupled to a gate located away from a QPC which allows for partial transmission of an edge channel. At long times or lowfrequencies the RC-time governs the relaxation of charge and current and governs the fluctuations of the equilibrium electrostatic potential. The RC-time in mesoscopic structures is determined by an electrochemical capacitance which depends on the density of states of the edge states and a charge relaxation resistance. In the non-equilibrium case, in the presence of transport, the shot noise leads to charge fluctuations in proximity of the gate which are again determined by the equilibrium electrochemical capacitance but with a novel resistance. The case of multiple edge states is discussed and the effect of a dephasing voltage probe on these resistances is investigated. The potential fluctuations characterized by these capacitances and resistances are of interest since they determine the dephasing rate in Coulomb coupled mesoscopic conductors.
KeywordsShot Noise Edge State Transmission Probability Potential Fluctuation Voltage Probe
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. Büttiker, Phys. Rev. B46, 12485 (1992).Google Scholar
- 5.D. Sprinzak, E. Buks, M. Heiblum, H. Shtrikman, (unpublished). condmat/ 9907162Google Scholar
- 6.M. Büttiker, H. Thomas, and A. Prêtre, Phys. Lett. A 180, 364 (1993).Google Scholar
- 8.T. Christen and M. Büttiker, Phys. Rev. Lett. 77, 143 (1996): M. Büttiker and T. Christen, in Mesoscopic Electron Transport, NATO ASI, Series E: Applied Science, edited by L. L. Sohn, L. P. Kouwenhoven and G. Schoen, (Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, 1997) Vol. 345. p. 259. cond-mat/9610025.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.V. A. Khlus, Sov. Phys. JETP 66, 1243 (1987); G. B. Lesovik, JETP Lett. 49, 592 (1989).Google Scholar
- 11.M. H. Pedersen, S. A. van Langen and M. Büttiker, Phys. Rev. B 57, 1838 (1998).Google Scholar
- 12.M. Büttiker, Phys. Rev. B38, 9375, (1988).Google Scholar
- 15.M. Büttiker and A. M. Martin, (unpublished). cond-mat/9902320.Google Scholar
- 17.Y. B. Levinson, Sov. Phys. JETP 68, 1257 (1989).Google Scholar
- 18.B. L. Altshuler, A. G. Aronov and D. Khmelnitskii, J. Phys. C15, 7367 (1982).Google Scholar
- 20.A. M. Martin, T. Gramespacher, M. Buttiker, (unpublished). condmat/9907240Google Scholar