Industrial User Interface Evaluation Based on Coloured Petri Nets Modelling and Analysis
This paper presents and discusses a generic navigation model built with Coloured Petri net (CPN) to support the analysis of the navigation component in human interface design. The modelling and analysis is developed in the context of supervisory control systems for industrial plants. The paper discusses the results of using this navigation model in an industrial application case study.
KeywordsNavigation Model Message Sequence Chart Active Window Navigation Option Alarm Generation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bastide, R.; Palanque, P.,A Petri Net Based Environment for the Design of Event-Driven Interfaces. Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Application and Theory of Petri Nets, p. 66–83, Turin, June, 1995.Google Scholar
- 2.Jensen. K., Coloured Petri Nets-Basic Concepts, Analysis Methods and Practical Use, Volume 1, Basic Concepts. Monographs in Theoretical Computer Science, Springer-Verlag, 1992.Google Scholar
- 3.Murata. T., Petri Nets: Properties, Analysis and Applications. Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 77, No 4, April 1989.Google Scholar
- 5.Palanque, P.; Bastide, R., A Design Life-Cycle for the Formal Design of User Interfaces. (FAHCI’96) BCS-FACS Workshop on the Formal Aspects of the Human-Computer Interface, Shefield, UK, September, 1996.Google Scholar
- 6.Palanque P.; Bastide R.; V. Senges, Validating Interactive System Design Through the Verification of Formal Task and System Models.. 6th IFIP Working Conference on Engineering for Human-Computer Interaction (EHCI’95) Grand Targhee Resort, Wyoming, U.S.A. 14-18 August 1995.Google Scholar
- 7.Peterson, J.L., Petri Net Theory and the Modeling of Systems. Prentice-Hall, Inc., Englewood Clifis, 290p, 1981.Google Scholar
- 8.Rosis, F. de, A Tool to Support Specification and Evaluation of Context-Customizes Interfaces. SIGCHI Bulletin, 82–88, July1996.Google Scholar
- 9.Anderson, M.; Bergstrand, J., Formalizing Use Cases with Message SequenceCharts. Department of Communication Systems at Lund Institute of Technology, May 1995.Google Scholar
- 10.Sousa, M.R.F. and Turnell, M.F.Q.V., User Interface Evaluation Based on Coloured Petri Nets Modelling and Analysis. In IEEE-SMC’98 Proceedings, October 1998, nDiego-CA, EUA.Google Scholar
- 11.Sousa, M. R. F., AvaliaÇão Iterativa da EspecificaÇão de Interfaces comÊnfase na NavegaÇão. Doctoral Thesis, Electrical Engineering Department, at Federal University of Paraiba, Brazil, December1999.Google Scholar
- 12.Treu S., User Interface Design: A Structured Approach. Plenum Press, New York, NY, 1994.Google Scholar
- 13.Turnell, Maria de Fátima Q. V.; Farias, Giovanni F. The use of Supervisory Software in the Industrial Automation Process Control from the User Interface Perspective.1996 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics; Beijing China, October, 1996.Google Scholar