An XML-Based Runtime User Interface Description Language for Mobile Computing Devices
In a time where mobile computing devices and embedded systems gain importance, too much time is spent to reinventing user interfaces for each new device. To enhance future extensibility and reusability of systems and their user interfaces we propose a runtime user interface description language, which can cope with constraints found in embedded systems and mobile computing devices. XML seems to be a suitable tool to do this, when combined with Java. Following the evolution of Java towards XML, it is logical to introduce the concept applied to mobile computing devices and embedded systems.
KeywordsUser Interface Embed System Description Language Target Platform Java User Interface
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Marc Abrams, Constantinos Phanouriou, Alan L. Batongbacal, Stephen M. Williams, and Jonathan E. Shuster. UIML: An Appliance-Independent XML User Interface Language. World Wide Web, http://www.org/w8-papers/5b-hypertext-media/uiml/uiml.html, 1998.
- 2.Blaine A. Bell and Steven K. Feiner. Dynamic space management for user interfaces. In Proceedings of the 13th Annual Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology (UIST-00), pages 239–248, N.Y., November 5–8 2000. ACM Press.Google Scholar
- 3.K. Bharat and L. Cardelli. Migratory applications. In Eighth ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology, pages 133–42, 1995.Google Scholar
- 4.Keith A. Butler, Robert J.K. Jacob, and Jennifer Preece. CHI 2000 tutorial notes: HCI: Introduction and overview. ACM, 2000.Google Scholar
- 5.Robin Cover. SpeechML. World Wide Web, http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/speechML.html, 1999.
- 6.Robin Cover. VoxML Markup Language. World Wide Web, http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/voxML.html, 2001.
- 7.Robin Cover. WAP Wireless Markup Language Specification (WML). World Wide Web, http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/wap-wml.html, 2001.
- 8.Maria R. Ebling and M. Satyanarayanan. On the Importance of Translucence for Mobile Computing. In C.W. Johnson (ed.), Proceedings of First Workshop on Human-Computer Interaction for Mobile Devices, Technical report, University of Glasgow, Scotland, pages 69–72, 1998.Google Scholar
- 9.Jacob Eisenstein, Jean Vanderdonckt, and Angel Puerta. Applying Model-Based Techniques to the Development of UIs for Mobile Computers. In IUI 2001 International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces, pages 69–76, 2001.Google Scholar
- 10.Shiro Kawai, Hitoshi Adai, and Tadao Saito. Designing Interface Toolkit with Dynamic Selectable Modality. In Proceedings of the second annual ACM conference on Assistive technologies, pages 72–79, 1996.Google Scholar
- 11.Thierry Kormann. The Koala User Interface Language. World Wide Web, http://www-sop.inria.fr/koala/kuil/, 2000.
- 12.J. Landay and T. Kaufmann. User Interface Issues in Mobile Computing. In Fourth Workshop on Workstation Operating Systems, Napa, CA, 1993.Google Scholar
- 13.Sheng Liang and Gilad Bracha. Dynamic class loading in the Java virtual machine. In `ACM SIGPLAN Conference on Object-Oriented Programming, Systems, Languages and Applications (OOPSLA’98), pages 36–44, 1998.Google Scholar
- 14.Mark A. Linton, John M. Vlissides, and Paul R. Calder. Composing User Interfaces With InterViews. IEEE Computer, 22(2), Febuary 1989.Google Scholar
- 15.Kris Luyten, Karin Coninx, Jan Van den Bergh, and Jos Segers. Software engineering for embedded systems using a component oriented approach; deliverable 4.2: Implementation of a component based user interface, seescoa confidential. Technical report, Expertisecentrum Digitale Media; Limburgs Universitair Centrum, 2001.Google Scholar
- 16.Didier Martin, Mark Birbeck, Michael Kay, Brian Loesgen, Jon Pinnock, Steven Livingstone, Peter Stark, Kevin Williams, Richard Anderson, Stephen Mohr, David Baliles, Bruce Peat, and Nikola Ozu. Professional XML. Wrox Press, 2000.Google Scholar
- 17.Sun Microsystems. From desktop to consumer devices; the applet writer’s style guide. Technical Report 408-343-1400, Sun Microsystems, JavaSoft, 2550 Garcia Avenue, Mountain View, CA 94043U.S.A., December 1997.Google Scholar
- 18.Andreas Müller, Peter Forbrig, and Clemens Cap. Model-Based User Interface Design Using Markup Concepts. In C.W. Johnson (ed.) Proceedings of the Eight Workshop of Design, Specification and Verification of Interactive Systems, pages 30–39, June 2001.Google Scholar
- 19.Dan R. Olsen, Sean Jefferies, Travis Nielsen, William Moyes, and Paul Fredrickson. Cross-modal interaction using XWeb. In Proceedings of the 13th Annual Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology (UIST-00), pages 191–200, N.Y., November 5–8 2000. ACM Press.Google Scholar
- 20.Fabio Paterno. Model-Based Design and Evaluation of Interactive Applications. Springer, 2000.Google Scholar
- 21.Costin Pribeanu, Quentin Limbourg, and Jean Vanderdonckt. Task Modelling for Context-Sensitive User Interfaces. In C.W. Johnson (ed.) Proceedings of the Eight Workshop of Design, Specification and Verification of Interactive Systems, pages 60–76, June 2001.Google Scholar
- 22.Pekka Savolainen and Hannu Konttinen. A Framework for management of sophisticated User Interface’s Variants in Design Proces. In Jean Vanderdonckt and Angel Puerta, editors, Computer-Aided Design of User Interfaces II, pages 205–215. Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1999.Google Scholar
- 23.Kevin A. Schneider and James R. Cordy. Abstract User Interfaces: A Model and Notation to support plasticity in Interactive Systems. In C.W. Johnson (ed.) Proceedings of the Eight Workshop of Design, Specification and Verification of Interactive Systems, pages 40–58, June 2001.Google Scholar
- 24.Ben Schneiderman. Designing the User Interface, third edition. Addison Wesley, 1998.Google Scholar
- 25.Frank Sommers. Object mobility in the Jini environment. World Wide Web, http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-01-2001/jw-0105-jiniology.html, january 2001.
- 26.Sun Microsystems. Java Remote Method Invocation. World Wide Web, http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/rmi/, 1997.
- 27.David Thevenin and Joelle Coutaz. Adaptation and Plasticity of User Interfaces. In Workshop on Adaptive Design of Interactive Multimedia Presentations for Mobile Users, 1999.Google Scholar
- 28.J. Vanderdonckt and F. Bodart. Encapsulating knowledge for intelligent automatic interaction objects selection. In ACM Conference on Human Aspects in Computing Systems InterCHI’93, pages 424–429. Addison Wesley, 1993.Google Scholar