An Efficient Component Model for the Construction of Adaptive Middleware
- 1.1k Downloads
Middleware has emerged as an important architectural component in modern distributed systems. Most recently, industry has witnessed the emergence of component-based middleware platforms, such as Enterprise JavaBeans and the CORBA Component Model, aimed at supporting third party development, configuration and subsequent deployment of software. The goal of our research is to extend this work in order to exploit the benefits of component-based approaches within the middleware platform as well as on top of the platform, the result being more configurable and reconfigurable middleware technologies. This is achieved through a marriage of components with reflection, the latter providing the necessary levels of openness to access the underlying component infrastructure. More specifically, the paper describes in detail the OpenCOM component model, a lightweight and efficient component model based on COM. The paper also describes how OpenCOM can be used to construct a full middleware platform, and also investigates the performance of both OpenCOM and this resultant platform. The main overall contribution of the paper is to demonstrate that flexible middleware technologies can be developed without an adverse effect on the performance of resultant systems
KeywordsComponent Model Address Space Method Invocation Component Framework Dynamic Reconfiguration
- Blair G.S., Coulson G., Robin P. and Papathomas M., “An Architecture for Next Generation Middleware”, Proceedings of the IFIP International Conference on Distributed Systems Platforms and Open Distributed Processing (Middleware’98), Davies N.A.J., Raymond K. & Seitz J. (Eds.), The Lake District, UK, pp. 191–206, 15–18 September 1998.Google Scholar
- Blair, G.S., Coulson, G., Andersen, A., Blair, L., Clarke, M., Costa, F., Duran-Limon, H., Fitzpatrick, T., Johnston, L., Moreira, R., Parlavantzas, N., Saikoski, K., “The Design and Implementation of OpenORB v2”, To appear in IEEE DS Online, Special Issue on Reflective Middleware, 2001.Google Scholar
- Brown, K., “Building a Lightweight COM Interception Framework Part 1: The Universal Delegator”, Microsoft Systems Journal, January 1999.Google Scholar
- Costa, F., Duran, H., Parlavantzas, N., Saikoski, K., Blair, G.S., and Coulson, G., “The Role of Reflective Middleware in Supporting the Engineering of Dynamic Applications”. In Walter Cazzola, Robert J. Stroud and Francesco Tisato, editors, Reflection and Software Engineering, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 1826. Springer-Verlag, 2000CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- J. Helander and A. Forin. “MMLite: A Highly Componentized System Architecture”. In Proc. of the Eighth ACM SIGOPS European Workshop, pp 96–103, Sintra, Portugal, September 1998.Google Scholar
- Kiczales, G., des Rivières, J., and Bobrow, D.G., “The Art of the Metaobject Protocol”, MIT Press, 1991.Google Scholar
- Knuth, D.E., “The Art of Computer Programming, Volume 1: Fundamental Algorithms”, Second Edition, Reading, Massachusetts, USA, Addison Wesley, 1973.Google Scholar
- Kon, F., Román, M., Liu, P., Mao, J., Yamane, T., Magalhães, L.C., and Campbell, R.H., “Monitoring, Security, and Dynamic Configuration with the dynamicTAO Reflective ORB”. IFIP International Conference on Distributed Systems Platforms and Open Distributed Processing (Middleware’2000). New York. April 3–7, 2000.Google Scholar
- Microsoft, “The Component Object Model Specification”, http://www.microsoft.com/com/resources/comdocs.asp. Last updated: 15/04/1999.
- Microsoft, COM Home Page, http://www.microsoft.com/com/default.asp. Last updated: 01/06/2000.
- Microsoft, Net Home Page, http://www.microsoft.com/net. Last updated: 01/02/2001.
- Mozilla Organization, XPCOM project, 2001, http://www.mozilla.org/projects/xpcom
- Object Management Group, “CORBA Components” Final Submission, OMG Document orbos/99-02-05.Google Scholar
- A. Reid, M. Flatt, L. Stoller, J. Lepreau, E. Eide “Knit: Component Composition for Systems Software”. In proceedings of 4th Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI 2000), Usenix Association, pp. 347–360, October 2000.Google Scholar
- Roman, M., Mickunas, D., Kon, F., and Campbell, R.H., IFIP/ACM Middleware’2000 Workshop on Reflective Middleware. IBM Palisades Executive Conference Center, NY, April 2000.Google Scholar
- Rogerson, D., “Inside COM”, Microsoft Press, Redmond, WA, 1997.Google Scholar
- Szyperski, C., “Component Software: Beyond Object-Oriented Programming”, Addison-Wesley, 1998.Google Scholar
- Sun Microsystems, “Enterprise JavaBeans Specification Version 1.1”, http://java.sun.com/products/ejb/index.html.