Extending BGMP for Shared-Tree Inter-Domain QoS Multicast
QoS support poses new challenges to multicast routing especially for inter-domain multicast where network QoS characteristics will not be readily available as in intra-domain multicast. Several existing proposals attempt to build QoS-sensitive multicast trees by providing multiple joining paths for a new member using a flooding-based search strategy which has the draw-back of excessive overhead and may not be able to determine which join path is QoS feasible sometimes. In this paper, first we propose a method to propagate QoS information in bidirectional multicast trees to enable better QoS-aware path selection decisions. We then propose an alternative ‘join point’ search strategy that would introduce much less control overhead utilizing the root-based feature of the MASC/BGMP inter-domain multicast architecture. Simulation results show that this strategy is as effective as flooding-based search strategy in finding alternative join points for a new member but with much less overhead. We also discuss extensions to BGMP to incorporate our strategies to enable QoS support.
KeywordsLocal Search Multicast Tree Multicast Group Virtual Link Local Search Strategy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K. Almeroth, “;The Evolution of Multicast: From the MBone to Inter-Domain Multicast to Internet2 Deployment,”, IEEE Network, January/February 2000.Google Scholar
- 2.G. Apostolopoulos, S. Kama, D. Williams, R. Guerin, A. Orda, and T. Przygienda, “;QoS routing mechanisms and OSPF extensions,”, IETF RFC 2676, August 1999.Google Scholar
- 3.A. Ballardie, “;Core based trees (CBT version 2) multicast routing: protocol specification,”, RFC2189, Septermber 1997.Google Scholar
- 4.T. Bates, R. Chandra, D. Katz, and Y. Rekhter, “;Multiprotocol extensions for BGP-4,”, IETF RFC 2283, Feburary 1998.Google Scholar
- 5.S. Blake, D. Black, et al., “;An architecture for differentiated services,”, RFC 2475, December1998.Google Scholar
- 6.R. Braden, D. Clark, and S. Shenker, “;Integrated services in the Internet architecture: an overview,”, IETF RFC 1633, 1994.Google Scholar
- 7.R. Braden, L. Zhang, S. Berson, et al., “;Resource reservation protocol (RSVP)-version 1 functional specification,”, IETF RFC 2205, September 1997.Google Scholar
- 8.K. Carlberg and J. Crowcroft, “;Quality of multicast service (QoMS) by yet another multicast (YAM) routing protocol,”, in Proceedings of HIPARCH’98, June 1998.Google Scholar
- 9.B. Cain, S. Deering, and A. Thyagarajan, “;Internet group management protocol, Version 3,”, Internet draft: draft-ietf-idmr-igmp-v3-01.txt, Feburary 1999.Google Scholar
- 10.S. Chen, K. Nahrstedt, and Y. Shavitt, “;A QoS-aware multicast routing protocol,”, in Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM’00, March 2000.Google Scholar
- 12.S. Deering, D. Estrin, D. Farinacci, et al., “;Protocol independent multicast-sparse mode (PIM-SM): motivation and architecture,”, Internet draft: draft-ietf-idmr-pim-arch-05.txtps, August 1998.Google Scholar
- 13.D. Estrin, M. Handley, and D. Thaler, “;Multicast-Address-Set advertisement and Claim mechanism,”, IETF Internet draft: draft-ietf-malloc-masc-05.txt, July 2000.Google Scholar
- 14.M. Faloutsos, A. Banerjea, and R. Pankaj, “;QoSMIC: quality of service sensitive multicast internet protocol,”, in Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM’98, pp.144–153, September 1998.Google Scholar
- 15.D. Farinacci, Y. Rekhter, D. Meyer, P. Lothberg, H. Kilmer, and J. Hall, “;Multicast source discovery protocol (MSDP),”, IETF Internet draft: draft-ietf-msdp-spec-06.txt.Google Scholar
- 16.S. Kumar, P. Radoslavov, D. Thaler, C. A laettino?glu, D. Estrin, and M. Handley, “;The MASC/BGMP architecture for inter-domain multicast routing,”, in Proceedings of ACMSIGCOMM’98, pp.93–104, September 1998.Google Scholar
- 17.J. Moy, “;Multicast routing extensions to OSPF,”, RFC 1584, March 1994.Google Scholar
- 18.Measurement and Operations Analysis Team, National Laboratory for Applied Network Research: http://moat.nlanr.net/AS/.
- 19.Oregon Route Views Project: http://www.antc.uoregon.edu/route-views/.
- 20.C. Partridge, D. Waitzman, and S. Deering, “;Distance vector multicast routing protocol,”, RFC 1075, 1988.Google Scholar
- 21.D. Thaler, D. Estrin, and D. Meyer, “;Border gateway multicast protocol (BGMP): protocol specification,”, Internet Draft, draft-ietf-bgmp-spec-02.txt, November 2000.Google Scholar
- 22.D. Zappala, “;Alternate path routing in multicast,”, in Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM’00, March 2000.Google Scholar