A Novel Face Recognition Method
- 218 Downloads
This paper introduces a new face recognition method that treats 2D face images as 1D signals to take full advantages of wavelet multi-resolution analysis. Though there have been many applications of wavelet multi-resolution analysis to recognition tasks, the effectiveness of the approach on 2D images of varying lighting conditions, poses, and facial expressions remains to be resolved. We present a new face recognition method and the results of extensive experiments of the new method on the ORL face database, using a neural network classifier trained by randomly selected faces. We demonstrate that the method is computationally efficient and robust in dealing with variations in face images. The performance of the method also decreases gracefully with the reduction of the number of training faces.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. Belhumeur et al: Eigen Faces vs. Fisherfaces. Recognition Using Class Specific Linear Projection. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol. 19, July 1997Google Scholar
- 3.P. McGuire and M.T.D’ Eluteriom: Eigenpaxels and a neural network approach to image classification. IEEE Tansactions on Neural Networks, VOL.12, NO.3, May 2001Google Scholar
- 4.Chengjun Liu, Harry Wechsler: A Shape and Texture Based Enhanced Fisher Classifier for Face Recognition. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, VOL.10, NO.4, April 2001Google Scholar
- 5.A. S. Tolba and A.N. Anu-Rezq: Combined Classifiers for Invariant Face Recognition. 0-7695-0446-9/99, 1999Google Scholar
- 6.M. Turk, and A. Pentland: Eigenfaces for Recognition. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, 3(1), 1991Google Scholar
- 7.Olivier de Vel and Stefan Aeberhard, Line-based Face Recognition under Varying Pose. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, VOL.21, NO.10, October 1999Google Scholar
- 8.J. Zhang, Y. Yan, and M. Lades. Face Recognition: Eigenface, Elastic Matching, and Neural Nets. Proc. IEEE, VOL.85, 1997Google Scholar
- 9.Von der Masburg C, Pattern recognition by Labeled Graph Matching. Neural Networks, vol. 1, 141–148, 1988Google Scholar