An ANTS Algorithm for Optimizing the Materialization of Fragmented Views in Data Warehouses: Preliminary Results
The materialization of fragmented views in data warehouses has the objective of improving the system response time for a given workload. It represents a combinatorial optimization problem arising in the logical design of data warehouses which has so far received little attention from the optimization community. This paper describes the application of a metaheuristic approach, namely the ANTS approach, to this problem. In particular, we propose an integer programming formulation of the problem, derive an efficient lower bound and embed it in an ANTS algorithm. Preliminary computational results, obtained on the well-known TPC-D benchmark, are presented.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. Munneke, K. Wahlstrom, and M. Mohania. Fragmentation of multidimensional databases. In Proc. 10th Australasian Database Conf., pages 153–64, 1999.Google Scholar
- 2.A. Datta, B. Moon, and H. Thomas. A case for parallelism in data warehousing and OLAP. In Proc. IEEE First Int. Workshop on Data Warehouse Design and OLAP Technology, 1998.Google Scholar
- 3.M. Golfarelli, D. Maio, and Rizzi S. Applying vertical fragmentation techniques in logical design of multidimensional databases. In Proceedings of 2nd International Conference on Data Warehousing and Knowledge Discovery (DaWaK 2000), pages 11–23, 2000.Google Scholar
- 4.R. Kimball. The data warehouse toolkit. John Wiley & Sons, 1996.Google Scholar
- 5.M. Golfarelli and S. Rizzi. Designing the data warehouse: key steps and crucial issues. J. of Computer Science and Information Management, 2(3), 1999.Google Scholar
- 6.F. Raab, editor. TPC Benchmark(tm) D (Decision Support), Proposed Revision 1.0. Transaction Processing Performance Council, San Jose, 1995.Google Scholar
- 7.E. Baralis, S. Paraboschi, and E. Teniente. Materialized view selection in multidimensional database. In Proc. 23rd VLDB, pages 156–65, 1997.Google Scholar
- 8.V. Harinarayan, A. Rajaraman, and J. Ullman. Implementing Data Cubes Efficiently. In Proc. ACM Sigmod Conf., 1996.Google Scholar
- 9.J. Yang, K. Karlaplem, and Q. Li. Algorithms for Materialized View Design in Data Warehousing Environments. In Proc. 23rd VLDB, pages 136–45, 1997.Google Scholar
- 11.A. Colorni, M. Dorigo, and V. Maniezzo. Distributed optimization by ant colonies. In Proc. ECAL’91, European Conference on Artificial Life. Elsevier, 1991.Google Scholar