Design of Iterated Local Search Algorithms
In this article we investigate the application of iterated local search (ILS) to the single machine total weighted tardiness problem. Our research is inspired by the recently proposed iterated dynasearch approach, which was shown to be a very effective ILS algorithm for this problem. In this paper we systematically configure an ILS algorithms by optimizing the single procedures part of ILS and optimizing their interaction. We come up with a highly effective ILS approach, which outperforms our implementation of the iterated dynasearch algorithm on the hardest benchmark instances.
KeywordsLocal Search Acceptance Criterion Local Search Algorithm Iterate Local Search Total Weighted Tardiness
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.E.B. Baum. Towards practical “neural” computation for combinatorial optimization problems. In J. Denker, editor, Neural Networks for Computing, pages 53–64, 1986. AIP conference proceedings.Google Scholar
- 3.R.K. Congram, C.N. Potts, and S.L. Van de Velde. An iterated dynasearch algorithm for the single-machine total weighted tardiness scheduling problem. INFORMS Journal on Computing, to appear, 2000.Google Scholar
- 5.M. den Besten, T. Stützle, and M. Dorigo. Ant colony optimization for the total weighted tardiness problem. In M. Schoenauer et al., editor, Proceedings of PPSN-VI, volume 1917 of LNCS, pages 611–620. Springer Verlag, Berlin, Germany, 2000.Google Scholar
- 7.H.H. Hoos and T. Stützle. Evaluating Las Vegas algorithms — pitfalls and remedies. In Proceedings of the 14th Conference on Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence 1998, pages 238–245. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, 1998.Google Scholar
- 11.H.R. Lourenço and M. Zwijnenburg. Combining the large-step optimization with tabu-search: Application to the job-shop scheduling problem. In I.H. Osman and J.P. Kelly, editors, Meta-Heuristics: Theory & Applications, pages 219–236. Kluwer, 1996.Google Scholar
- 14.H. Matsuo, C.J. Suh, and R.S. Sullivan. A controlled search simulated annealing method for the single machine weighted tardiness problem. Working paper 87-12-2, Department of Management, University of Texas at Austin, TX, 1987.Google Scholar
- 15.D. Merkle and M. Middendorf. An ant algorithm with a new pheromone evaluation rule for total tardiness problems. In S. Cagnoni et al., editor, Proceedings of EvoWorkshops 2000, volume 1803 of LNCS, pages 287–296. Springer Verlag, Berlin, Germany, 2000.Google Scholar
- 18.C.R. Reeves. Landscapes, operators and heuristic search. To appear in Annals of Operations Research, 2000.Google Scholar
- 19.T. Stützle. Applying iterated local search to the permutation flow shop problem. Technical Report AIDA-98-04, FG Intellektik, TU Darmstadt, August 1998.Google Scholar
- 20.T. Stützle. Local Search Algorithms for Combinatorial Problems-Analysis, Improvements, and New Applications. PhD thesis, Darmstadt University of Technology, Department of Computer Science, 1998.Google Scholar
- 21.Thomas Stützle. Iterated local search for the quadratic assignment problem. Technical Report AIDA-99-03, FG Intellektik, FB Informatik, TU Darmstadt, March 1999.Google Scholar