A Conceptual Approach for Simultaneous Flight Schedule Construction with Genetic Algorithms
In this paper, a new conceptual approach for flight schedule construction will be developed. Until now, the construction of a flight schedule is performed by decomposing the overall problem into subproblems and by solving these subproblems with various optimization techniques. The new approach constructs flight schedules with the help of genetic algorithms. Each individual of a population represents a complete flight schedule. This encoding avoids the artificial decomposition of the planning problem. With the help of genetic operators, flight schedule construction may be conducted simultaneously, efficiently searching for better solutions.
KeywordsGenetic Algorithm Crew Schedule Monday Morning Aircraft Type Schedule Construction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Etschmaier, M.M., Mathaisel, D.F.X., Airline Scheduling: An Overview, in: Transportation Science, May 1985, pp. 127–138.Google Scholar
- 2.Suhl, L., Computer-Aided Scheduling, An Airline Perspective, Wiesbaden, 1995.Google Scholar
- 3.Antes, Jürgen, Structuring the Process of Airline Scheduling, in: Operations Research Proceedings, 1997, pp. 515–520.Google Scholar
- 4.Teodorovic, D., Krcmar-Nozic, E., Multicriteria Model to Determine Flight Frequencies on an Airline Network under Competitive Conditions, in: Transportation Science, February 1989, pp. 14–25.Google Scholar
- 5.Dobson, G., Lederer, P.J., Airline Scheduling and Routing in an Hub-and-Spoke System, in: Transportation Science, August 1993, pp. 281–297.Google Scholar
- 6.Desaulniers, G. et al., Daily Aircraft Routing and Scheduling, in: Management Science, June 1997, pp. 841–855.Google Scholar
- 7.Kontogiorgis, S., Acharya, S., US Airways Automates Its Weekend Fleet Assignment, in: Interfaces, May/June 1999, pp. 52–62.Google Scholar
- 8.Clarke, L. et al., The Aircraft Rotation Problem, in: Annals of Operations Research, No. 69, 1997, pp. 33–46.Google Scholar
- 9.Talluri, K.T., The Four-Day Aircraft Maintenance Routing Problem, in: Transportation Science, February 1998, pp. 43–53.Google Scholar
- 10.Mellouli, T., Standardisierte Decision-Support-Komponenten für Ressourcenein-satzplanung und Störungsmanagement bei Bahn-, Regionalbus-und Flugge-sellschaften, Proceedings of the 3. Meistersingertreffen, November 25./26.1999, Schloss Thurnau, Germany.Google Scholar
- 11.Barnhardt, C. et al., Flight String Models for Aircraft Fleeting and Routing, in: Transportation Science, August 1998, pp. 208–220.Google Scholar