Library-Based Design and Consistency Checking of System-Level Industrial Test Cases
In this paper we present a new coarse grain approach to automated integrated (functional) testing, which combines three paradigms: library-based test design, meaning construction of test graphs by combination of test case components on a coarse granular level, incremental formalization, through successive enrichment of a special-purpose environment for application-specific test development and execution, and library-based consistency checking, allowing continuous verification of application- and aspect-specific properties by means of model checking. These features and their impact for the test process and the test engineers are illustrated along an industrial application: an automated integrated testing environment for CTI-Systems.
KeywordsModel Check Test Block Test Tool System Under Test Test Graph
- 1.V. Braun, T. Margaria, B. Steffen, H. Yoo: Automatic Error Location for IN Service Definition, Proc. AIN’97, 2nd Int. Workshop on Advanced Intelligent Networks, Cesena, 1997.Google Scholar
- 2.J.-C. Fernandez, C. Jard, T. Jéron and C. Viho: An Experiment in Automatic Generation of Test Suites for Protocols with Verification Technology, Science of Computer Programming, 29, 1997.Google Scholar
- 3.J. Hofmann: Program Dependent Abstract Interpretation, Diplomarbeit, Fakultat fur Mathematik und Informatik, Universitat Passau, August 1997.Google Scholar
- 4.B. Jonsson, T. Margaria, G. Naeser, J. Nystrom, B. Steffen: On Modelling Feature Interactions in Telecommunications, Proc. of Nordic Workshop on Programming Theory, eds. B. Victor and W. Yi, 1999.Google Scholar
- 5.B. Jonsson, T. Margaria, G. Naeser, J. Nystrom, B. Steffen: Incremental Requirements Specification of Evolving Systems, Feature Interactions in Telecommunications and Software Systems VI, eds. M. Calder and E. Magill, ISO Press, 2000.Google Scholar
- 6.T. Margaria, B. Steffen: Backtracking-free Design Planning by Automatic Synthesis in METAFrame Proc. FASE’98, Int. Conf. on Fundamental Aspects of Software Engineering, Lisbon, Apr. 1998, LNCS 1382, pp.188–204, Springer Verlag.Google Scholar
- 8.O. Niese, T. Margaria, M. Nagelmann, B. Steffen, G. Brune, H.-D. Ide: An open Environment for Automated Integrated Testing, 4th Int. Conf. on Software and Internet Quality Week Europe (QWE’00), Brussels (Belgium), November 2000, CD-ROM Proccedings, pp 584–593.Google Scholar
- 9.O. Niese, M. Nagelmann, A. Hagerer, K. Strunck, W. Goerigk, A. Erochok, B. Hammelmann: Demonstration of an Automated Integrated Testing Environment for CTI Systems, Proc. FASE 2001, this volume. Genova (I), 2001.Google Scholar
- 10.Object Management Group: The Common Object Request Broker: Architecture and Specification, Revision 2.3, Object Management Group, 1999.Google Scholar
- 12.Rational: The Rational Suite description. http://www.rational.com/products.
- 13.M. Schmitt, B. Koch, J. Grabowski, and D. Hogrefe, Autolink-A Tool for Automatic and Semi-automatic Test Generation from SDL-Specifications, Technical Report A-98-05, Medical Univ. of Lubeck, Germany, 1998.Google Scholar
- 14.ITU-T Recommendation Z.100, CCITT specification and description language,’ 93.Google Scholar
- 15.Sun: Java Remote Method Invocation. http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/rmi.
- 16.B. Steffen, T. Margaria, A. Claßen, V. Braun: Incremental Formalization: a Key to Industrial Success, in“Software: Concepts and Tools”, Vol.17(2), pp. 78–91, Springer Verlag, July 1996.Google Scholar
- 18.B. Steffen, T. Margaria: METAFrame in Practice: Intelligent Network Service Design, In Correct System Design-Issues, Methods and Perspectives, LNCS 1710, Springer Verlag, 1999, pp.390–415.Google Scholar
- 19.B. Steffen, T. Margaria, V. Braun, and N. Kalt: Hierarchical service definition, Annual Review of Communication, Int. Engineering Consortium (IEC), Chicago (USA), pages 847–856, 1997.Google Scholar
- 20.C. Stirling: Modal and Temporal Logics, In Handbook of Logics in Computer Science, Vol. 2, pp. 478–551, Oxford Univ. Press, 1995.Google Scholar
- 21.Telelogic: Telelogic Tau. http://www.telelogic.com.
- 22.J. Tretmans and A. Belinfante: Automatic testing with formal methods, In EuroSTAR’99:7 th European Int. Conference on Software Testing, Analysis & Review. EuroStar Conferences, Galway, Ireland, November 8-12, 1999.Google Scholar