Optimal, Output-Sensitive Algorithms for Constructing Upper Envelope of Line Segments in Parallel
In this paper we focus on the problem of designing very fast parallel algorithms for constructing the upper envelope of straight-line segments that achieve the O(n logH) work-bound for input size n and output size H. Our algorithms are designed for the arbitrary CRCW PRAM model. We first describe an O(log n · (logH + log log n)) time deterministic algorithm for the problem, that achieves O(n logH) work bound for H = Ω(log n). We present a fast randomized algorithm that runs in expected time O(logH · log n) with high probability and does O(n logH) work. For log H = Ω(log log n), we can achieve the running time of O(log H) while simultaneously keeping the work optimal. We also present a fast randomized algorithm that runs in Õ(log n/ log k) time with nk processors, k > logΩ(1) n. The algorithms do not assume any input distribution and the running times hold with high probability.
KeywordsLine Segment Convex Hull Output Size Motion Planning Problem Vertical Decomposition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. Aggarwal, B. Chazelle, L. Guibas, C. O’Dunlaing and C. K. Yap, Parallel computational geometry. in: Proc. 25th Annual Sympos. Found. Comput. Sci. (1985) 468–477; also: Algorithmica 3 (3) (1988) 293–327.Google Scholar
- 2.P. K. Aggarwal and M. Sharir, Davenport-Schinzel Sequences and their Geometric Applications. (1995).Google Scholar
- 4.H. Bast and T. Hagerup, Fast parallel space allocation, estimation and integer sorting, Technical Report MPI-I-93-123 (June 1993).Google Scholar
- 7.W. Chen and K. Wada, On computing the upper envelope of segments in parallel, Proc. International Conference on Parallel Processing. (1998).Google Scholar
- 8.K. L. Clarkson, A randomized algorithm for computing a face in an arrangement of line segments.Google Scholar
- 10.M. Goodrich, Geometric partitioning made easier, even in parallel, in: Proc. 9th ACM Sympos. Comput. Geom. (1993) 73–82.Google Scholar
- 12.N. Gupta, Efficient Parallel Output-Size Sensitive Algorithms, Ph.D. Thesis, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi (1998).Google Scholar
- 14.N. Gupta and S. Sen, Faster output-sensitive parallel convex hull for d ≤ 3: optimal sub-logarithmic algorithms for small outputs, in: Proc. ACM Sympos. Comput. Geom. (1996) 176–185.Google Scholar
- 16.M. Ketan, Computational Geometry: An Introduction through Randomized Algorithms. Prentice Hall, EnglewoodCliffs, NJ, (1994).Google Scholar
- 17.F. Neilsen and M. Yvinec, An output-sensitive convex hull algorithm for convex objects. Institut National De Recherche En Informatique Et En Automatique. (1995).Google Scholar
- 18.S. Rajasekaran and S. Sen, in: J. H. Reif, Ed., Random Sampling Techniques and Parallel Algorithm Design (Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, San Mateo, CA, 1993).Google Scholar