Can Java™ Meet Its Real-Time Deadlines?
Ada has been-there, done-that, as regards meeting real-time programming requirements. The Ada95 revision addressed almost all the concerns that had plagued Ada83’s real-time usability. But Java is currently flavor of the month, although its existing real-time features are totally inadequate. Two independent recent efforts have defined extensions to the Java platform that intend to satisfy real-time requirements. This paper summarizes the major features of these efforts, compares them to each other and to Ada 95’s Real-Time Annex, and argues that they may serve to complement rather than compete with Ada in the real-time domain.
KeywordsGarbage Collection Java Virtual Machine Event Handler Memory Area Garbage Collector
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Gosling J., Joy B., Steele G., and Bracha G.; The Java Language Specification (second edition); Addison-Wesley; 2000.Google Scholar
- 2.Brosgol B.; A Comparison of the Concurrency and Real-Time Features of Ada and Java; Proceedings of Ada U.K. Conference 1998; Bristol, U.K.Google Scholar
- 3.Jones R. and Lins R.; Garbage Collection; Wiley and Sons; 1997.Google Scholar
- 4.Nilsen K.; Issues in the Design and Implementation of Real-Time Java, July 1996. Published June 1996 in “Java Developers Journal”, republished in Q1 1998 “Real-Time Magazine”, http://www.newmonics.com/pdf/RTJI.pdf.
- 5.Nilsen K., Carnahan L., and Ruark M., editors. Requirements for Real-Time Extensions for the Java Platform. Published by National Institute of Standards and Technology. September 1999. Available at http://www.nist.gov/rt-java.
- 6.Bollella G., Gosling J., Brosgol B., Dibble P., Furr S., Hardin D., and Turnbull M.; The Real-Time Specification for Java; Addison-Wesley; 2000.Google Scholar
- 7.International J Consortium Specification, Real-Time Core Extensions, Draft 1.0.14, September 2nd 2000. Available at http://www.j-consortium.org.
- 8.Dobbing B. and Nilsen K., Real-Time and High Integrity Extensions to Java™, Embedded Systems Conference West 2000 Proceedings, September 2000.Google Scholar
- 9.Dobbing B. and Burns A., The Ravenscar Tasking Profile for High Integrity Real_Time Programs. In “Reliable Software Technologies–Ada-Europe’ 98”, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 1411, Springer Verlag (June 1998).Google Scholar
- 10.Ada95 Reference Manual, International Standard ANSI/ISO/IEC-8652:1995, Jan 1995.Google Scholar
- 12.Ada Core Technologies, Inc; JGNAT User’s Guide; 2000.Google Scholar
- 13.Objective Interface Systems, Inc, ORBexpress, http://www.ois.com