Modelling Communication Interfaces with ComiX
For the communication of hardware and software via memory mapped I/O e.g. in an embedded system, it is necessary to specify the communication registers in every detail. Since this work usually needs to be done for hardware and software independently, this work is time consuming, difficult, and error prone. This paper presents an approach to model hw/sw interfaces in an XML-based interface description language called ComiX. We believe that an abstract and target language independent modelling technique based on ComiX can improve designers productivity and the systems reliability through reuse and automatically generated target code. Furthermore this paper describes a tool architecture to generate software device drivers and hardware I/O components automatically from a ComiX specification.
KeywordsEmbed System Target Language Device Driver Device Register Register Address
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. Barnes: Programming in Ada95. Addison-Wesley, 1995.Google Scholar
- 2.A. Burns, A. Wellings: HRT-HOOD: A Structured Design Method for Hard Real-Time Ada Systems. Elsevier, 1995.Google Scholar
- 3.G. Gorla, E. Moser, W. Nebel and E. Villar: System Benchmarking on a Common Benchmark: Protal Crane cosimulation in Ada95/VHDL. IEEE Design & Test of Computers. IEEE Computer Society, 2000.Google Scholar
- 5.W. Nebel, F. Oppenheimer, G. Schumacher, L. Kabous, M. Radetzki and W. Putzke-Röming: Object-Oriented Specification and Design of Embedded Hard Real-Time Systems. Proceedings of the ICDA2000.Google Scholar
- 6.Ada Semantic Interface Specification (ASIS); Int. Std. ISO/IEC 15291. 1999(E)Google Scholar
- 7.Java Technology and XML. http://java.sun.com/xml/
- 8.Extensible Markup Language (XML) 1.0. http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml
- 9.Oliver Dubuisson ASN.1–Communication between heterogeneous systems. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, 2000.Google Scholar
- 10.XDR: External Data Representation standard. RFC 1014, http://jandfield.com/rfcs/rfc1014.html, SUN Microsystems, Inc. 1987.