An Upper Bound for Number of Contacts in the HP-Model on the Face-Centered-Cubic Lattice (FCC)
- 407 Downloads
Lattice protein models are a major tool for investigating principles of protein folding. For this purpose, one needs an algorithm that is guaranteed to find the minimal energy conformation in some lattice model (at least for some sequences). So far, there are only algorithm that can find optimal conformations in the cubic lattice. In the more interesting case of the face-centered-cubic lattice (FCC), which is more protein-like, there are no results. One of the reasons is that for finding optimal conformations, one usually applies a branch-and-bound technique, and there are no reasonable bounds known for the FCC. We will give such a bound for Dill’s HP-model on the FCC.
KeywordsLayer Contact Protein Structure Prediction Colored Point Connected Plane Generalize Contact
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Richa Agarwala, Serafim Batzoglou, Vlado Dancik, Scott E. Decatur, Martin Farach, Sridhar Hannenhalli, S. Muthukrishnan, and Steven Skiena. Local rules for protein folding on a triangular lattice and generalized hydrophobicity in the hp model. Journal of Computational Biology, 4(2):275–296, 1997.Google Scholar
- 2.Rolf Backofen. Constraint techniques for solving the protein structure prediction problem. In Michael Maher and Jean-Francois Puget, editors, Proceedings of 4th International Conference on Principle and Practice of Constraint Programming (CP’98), volume 1520 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 72–86. Springer Verlag, 1998.Google Scholar
- 3.Rolf Backofen. Optimization Techniques for the Protein Structure Prediction Problem. Habilitationsschrift, University of Munich, 1999.Google Scholar
- 4.B. Berger and T. Leighton. Protein folding in the hydrophobic-hydrophilic (HP) modell is NP-complete. In Proc. of the Second Annual International Conferences on Compututational Molecular Biology (RECOMB98), pages 30–39, New York, 1998.Google Scholar
- 5.P. Crescenzi, D. Goldman, C. Papadimitriou, A. Piccolboni, and M. Yannakakis. On the complexity of protein folding. In Proc. of STOC, 1998. To appear. Short version in Proc. of RECOMB’98, pages 61–62.Google Scholar