On Some Cryptographic Properties of Rijndael
We examine diffusion properties of Rijndael which has been selected by US National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) for the proposed Advanced Encryption Standard (AES). Since the s-box of Rijndael applies a nonlinear transformation operating on each byte of the intermediate cipher result independently, its characteristics have significant effects on the strength of the entire system. The characteristics of Rijndael’s s-box are investigated for the criteria of avalanche, strict avalanche, bit independence, nonlinearity and XOR table distribution. We also evaluate the overall performance for different rounds of Rijndael, and compare it to Safer K-64, in terms of Avalanche Weight Distribution (AWD) criterion.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Daemen, J. and Rijmen, V.: AES Proposal: Rijndael. NIST Publication (1999)Google Scholar
- 2.Massey, J.L.: SAFER K-64: A Byte-Oriented Block-Ciphering Algorithm. Fast Software Encryption — Proceedings of Cambridge Security Workshop, Cambridge, U.K., LNCS 809, Springer Verlag (1994) 1–17Google Scholar
- 3.Aras, E.: Analysis of Security Criteria for Block Ciphers. M.S. Thesis, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Türkiye (September 1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Meier W. and Staffelbach, O.: Nonlinearity Criteria For Cryptographic Functions. Advances in Cryptology, Proc. EUROCRYPT’89, Springler-Verlag (1989) 549–562Google Scholar
- 9.Vergili, I.: Statistics on Satisfaction of Security Criteria for Randomly Generated S-boxes. M.S. Thesis, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Türkiye (June 2000)Google Scholar
- 10.Vergili, I. and Yücel, M.D.: On Satisfaction of Some Security Criteria for Randomly Chosen S-Boxes. Proc. 20th Biennial Symp. on Communications, Kingston (May 2000) 64–68Google Scholar
- 11.Aras, E. and Yücel, M.D.: Some Cryptographic Properties of Exponentiation and Logarithm Taking S-Boxes. Proc. 20th Biennial Symp. on Communications, Kingston, Canada (May 2000) 69–73Google Scholar
- 12.Soto, J. and Basham, L.: Randomnes Testing of the Advanced Encryption Standard Finalist Candidates. NIST Publication (March 2000)Google Scholar