Branching Automata with Costs — A Way of Reflecting Parallelism in Costs
Extending work by Lodaya and Weil, we propose a model of branching automata with costs in which the calculation of the cost of a parallel composition is handled differently from the calculation of the cost of a sequential composition. Our main result characterizes the behavior of these automata in the spirit of Kleene’s and Schützenberger’s theorems.
The technical report  that this extended abstract is based on contains complete proofs and can be accessed at the net.
KeywordsMatched Pair Formal Power Series Sequential Product Sequential Transition Sequential Composition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J. Berstel and C. Reutenauer. Rational Series and Their Languages, volume 12 of EATCS Monographs on Theoret. Comp. Sc. Springer, 1988.Google Scholar
- M. Droste and D. Kuske. Skew and infinitary formal power series. In ICALP 2003, Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Springer, 2003. Accepted.Google Scholar
- M. Droste and H. Vogler. A Kleene theorem for weighted tree automata. Technical Report TUD-FI02-04, TU Dresden, June 2002.Google Scholar
- S.E. Kleene. Representations of events in nerve nets and finite automata. In C.E. Shannon and J. McCarthy, editors, Automata Studies, pages 3–42. Princeton University Press, 1956.Google Scholar
- W. Kuich. Formal power series over trees. In Proc. of the 3rd International Conference Developments in Language Theory, pages 60–101. Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, 1997.Google Scholar
- W. Kuich and A. Salomaa. Semirings, Automata, Languages, volume 5 of EATCS Monographs on Theoret. Comp. Sc. Springer, 1986.Google Scholar
- D. Kuske and I. Meinecke. Branching automata with costs-a way of reflecting parallelism in costs. Technical Report MATH-AL-4-2003, TU Dresden, March 2003. see www.math.tu-dresden.de/~meinecke.Google Scholar
- Ch. Pech. Kleene’s theorem for weighted tree automata. In 14th International Symposium on Fundamentals of Computation Theory (FCT 2003), Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Springer, 2003. Accepted.Google Scholar
- A. Salomaa and M. Soittola. Automata-Theoretic Aspects of Formal Power Series. Texts and Monographs in Computer Science. Springer, 1978.Google Scholar