Quad Phase Minimum Average Correlation Energy Filters for Reduced Memory Illumination Tolerant Face Authentication
In this paper we propose reduced memory biometric filters for performing distortion tolerant face authentication. The focus of this research is on implementing authentication algorithms on small factor devices with limited memory and computational resources. We compare the full complexity minimum average correlation energy filters for performing illumination tolerant face authentication with our proposed quad phase minimum average correlation energy filters utilizing a Four-Level correlator. The proposed scheme requires only 2bits/frequency in the frequency domain achieving a compression ratio of up to 32:1 for each biometric filter while still attaining very good verification performance (100% in some cases). The results we show are based on the illumination subsets of the CMU PIE database on 65 people with 21 facial images per person.
KeywordsPoint Spread Function Training Image High Spatial Frequency Correlation Output Correlation Filter
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- T. Sim, S. Baker, and M. Bsat: The CMU Pose, Illumination, and Expression (PIE) Database of Human Faces. Tech. Report CMU-RI-TR-01-02, Robotics Institute, Carnegie Mellon University, January 2001.Google Scholar
- M. Savvides, B.V.K. Vijaya Kumar and P. Khosla: Face verification using correlation filters. Proc. Of Third IEEE Automatic Identification Advanced Technologies, Tarrytown, NY, pp.56–61, 2002.Google Scholar
- B.V.K. Vijaya Kumar, M. Savvides, K. Venkataramani and C. Xie: Spatial Frequency Domain Image Processing for Biometric Recognition. Proc. Of Intl. Conf. on Image Processing (ICIP), Rochester, NY, 2002.Google Scholar
- B.V.K. Vijaya Kumar: Tutorial survey of composite filter designs for optical correlators. Applied Optics 31, 1992.Google Scholar
- V. Oppenheim and J. W. Lim: The importance of phase on signals. Proc. IEEE 69, pp. 529–532, 1981.Google Scholar
- V. K. Vijaya Kumar: A Tutorial Review of Partial-Information Filter Designs for Optical Correlators, Asia-Pacific Engineering Journal (A), Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 203–215, 1992.Google Scholar