Facing Position Variability in Minutiae-Based Fingerprint Verification through Multiple References and Score Normalization Techniques
The aim of this paper is to show the performance of a complete scheme of the minutiae-based fingerprint automatic verification system, previously proposed , and recently improved, evaluating its performance in the verification mode with the large MCYT database . The design of this database, the characteristics of the stored fingerprint images, the minutiae extraction procedure, and the pattern recognition process, are briefly described in the first part of the paper. Subsequently, several experiments are presented in order to analyse the influence on the system performance of a variability factor, like fingerprint position variability during acquisition stage. The use of multiple-reference strategy and score normalization technique have permitted us to highly improve verification performance.
KeywordsImage Enhancement Fingerprint Image Verification Performance High Control Level Variability Factor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Digital Persona, http://www.digitalpersona.com
- S. Furui, “An Overview of Speaker Recognition Technology”, ESCA Workshop on Automatic Speaker Recognition, Martigny (Switzerland), pp. 1–9, April 1994.Google Scholar
- L. Hong, A. K. Jain, S. Pankanti, and R. Bolle, “Identity Authentication Using Fingerprints”, Proc. of the 1st International Conference on AVBPA’97, Crans-Montana, Switzerland, March 1997.Google Scholar
- A. K. Jain and S. Pankanti, “Automated Fingerprint Identification and Imaging Systems”, in Advances in Fingerprint Technology, 2nd Edition, Elsevier Science, New York, 2001.Google Scholar
- J. Ortega-Garcia, et al., “MCYT: A Multimodal Biometric Database”, Proc. of COST-275 Biometric Recognition Workshop, Rome (Italy), November 2002.Google Scholar
- J. Ortega-Garcia, J. Gonzalez-Rodriguez, D. Simon-Zorita, and S. Cruz-Llanas, “From Biometrics Technology to Applications regarding Face, Voice, Signature and Fingerprint Recognition Systems”, in Biometrics Solutions for Authentication in an E-World, (D. Zhang, ed.), pp. 289–337, Kluwer Academic Publishers, July 2002.Google Scholar
- Precise Biometrics, http://www.precisebiometrics.com
- D. Simon-Zorita, J. Ortega-Garcia, S. Cruz-Llanas, J. L. Sanchez-Bote, and J. Glez-Rodriguez, “An Improved Image Enhancement Scheme for Fingerprint Minutiae Extraction in Biometric Identification”, Proc. of the 3rd International Conference on AVBPA’01, Halmstad, 6–8 June, 2001.Google Scholar