Face Detection and Facial Component Extraction by Wavelet Decomposition and Support Vector Machines
Quite recently the support vector machine (SVM) has shown a great potential in the area of automatic face detection. Generally the SVM based methods fall into two categories: component-based and whole face-based. However there exist some limitations to each category. In this paper we present a two-stage method using both SVM categories based on multiresolution wavelet decomposition (MWD). In the first stage, the whole face-based SVMs are used for coarse location of faces from small sub-images of low resolution. Then a set of component-based SVMs are applied to verify the extracted candidates in subsequent larger sub-images of higher resolutions. Experimental results show that this wavelet-SVM based method takes the advantage of the effectiveness of both categories of SVM-based methods and the computation efficiency.
KeywordsSupport Vector Machine Feature Vector Independent Component Analysis Face Image Face Detection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Li, Y., Gong, S., Sherrah, J., Liddell, H.: Multi-view face detection using support vector machines and eigenspace modelling. In: 4th International Conference on Knowledge-Based Intelligent Engineering Systems & Allied Technologies. Volume 1, University of Brighton, UK (2000) 241–244Google Scholar
- Osuna, E., Freund, R., Girosi, F.: Training support vector machines: application to face detection. In: IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, San Juan, Puerto Rico (1997) 130–136Google Scholar
- Qi, Y., Doermann, D., DeMenthon, D.: Hybrid independent component analysis and support vector machine learning scheme for face detection. In: IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing. Volume 3., Salt Lake City, Utah, US (2001) 1481–1484Google Scholar
- Vetter, T., Jones, M. J., Poggio, T.: A bootstrapping algorithm for learning linear models of object classes. In: IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, San Juan, Puerto Rico (1997) 40–46Google Scholar
- Hwang, B.-W., Roh, M. C., Byun, H., Lee, S.-W.: Performance evaluation of face recognition algorithms on the asian face database, kfdb. In: 4th International Conference on Audio-and Video-Based Biometric Person Authentication, Guildford, UK (2003)Google Scholar