Fingerprint Enhancement Using Oriented Diffusion Filter
Fingerprint enhancement is a critical step in a fingerprint identific ation system. Recently, some anisotropic nonlinear diffusion filter is applied to the fingerprint preprocessed. Impressive results are main reason for using nonlinear diffusion filtering in image processing. Poor efficiency, especially the computational load, is the main reason for not using nonlinear diffusion filtering. In order to improve the efficie ncy, a novel piecewise nonlinear diffusion for fingerprint enhancement is presented. It shows anisotropic diffusion equation using diffusion tensor which continuously depends on the gradient is not necessary to smooth the fingerprint. We simplify the anisotropic nonlinear-diffusion in order to satisfy a real-time fingerprint recognition system. According to the local character of the fingerprint, the diffusion filter is steered by the orientation of ridge. Experimental results illustrate that our enhancement algorithm can satisfy the requirement of an AFIS.
KeywordsAnisotropic Diffusion Structure Tensor Nonlinear Diffusion Fingerprint Image Enhancement Algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Joachim Weichert, Multiscale Texture Enhancement. In Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Computer Analysis of Images and Patterns, Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag, Sept. Vol. 970, pp.230–237, 1995.Google Scholar
- Dario Maio, Davide Maltoni, Direct Gray-Scale Minutiae Detection In Fingerprints. IEEE Trans. On PAMI, Vol.19, No.1, pp27–39, 1997Google Scholar
- Andrés Almansa, Tony Lindeberg, Fingerprint Enhancement by Shape Adaption of Scale-Space Operators with Automation Scale Selection. IEEE Trans. On Image Processing, Vol.9, No.12, 2000.Google Scholar
- D. Maio, D. Maltoni, R. Cappelli, J.L. Wayman, A.K. Jain, FVC2000: Fingerprint Verific ation Competition, IEEE Trans. OnPAMI, Vol.24, No.3, pp. 402–412, 2002.Google Scholar
- Luo XiPing, Tian Jie, A Minutia Matching algorithm in Fingerprint Verification, proceedings of ICPR2000, V4, pp.833–836, Barcelona, Spain.2000Google Scholar
- X.P. Luo, J. Tian, Knowledge Based Fingerprint Image Enhancement, Proceedings of ICPR2000, V3, pp.783–786, Barcelona, Spain,2000.Google Scholar