Face Recognition System Using Accurate and Rapid Estimation of Facial Position and Scale
Face recognition technology needs to be robust for arbitrary facial appearances. In this paper, we propose a face recognition system that is efficient and robust for facial scale variations. In the process of face recognition, facial position detection incurs the highest computational cost. To estimate both facial position and scale, there needs to be a trade-off between accuracy and efficiency. To resolve the trade-off, we propose a method that estimates facial position in parallel with facial scale. We apply the method to our proposed system and demonstrate the advantages of the proposed system through face recognition experiments. The proposed system is more efficient than any other system and can maintain high face recognition accuracy for facial scale variations.
KeywordsFace Recognition Gabor Wavelet Beam Search Face Recognition System Facial Scale
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- X. Song, C. Lee, G. Xu and S. Tsuji: Extracting facial features with partial feature template, Proceedings of the Asian Conference on Computer Vision, pp. 751–754 (1994).Google Scholar
- L. Wiskott, J. M. Fellous, N. Krüger and C. von der Malsburg: Face recognition and gender determination, Proceedings of the International Workshop on Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition, pp. 92–97 (1995).Google Scholar
- D. Pramadihanto, Y. Iwai and M. Yachida: A flexible feature matching for automatic face and facial points detection, Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Pattern Recognition, pp. 324–329 (1998).Google Scholar
- D. Pramadihanto, Y. Iwai and M. Yachida: Integrated Person Identification and Expression Recognition from Facial Images, IEICE Trans. on Information and System, Vol. E84-D, No. 7, pp. 856–866 (2001).Google Scholar
- T. Hirayama, Y. Iwai and M. Yachida: Face Recognition Based on Efficient Facial Scale Estimation, Proceedings of the Second International Workshop on Articu-lated Motion and Deformable Objects (AMDO 2002), pp. 201–212 (2002).Google Scholar
- D. Pramadihanto, H. Wu and M. Yachida: Face Identification under Varying Pose Using a Single Example View, The Transactions of the Institute of Electronics, Information and Communication Engineers D-II, Vol. J80-D-II, No. 8, pp. 2232–2238 (1997).Google Scholar
- A.M. Martinez and R. Benavente: The AR face database, CVC Technical Report 24 (1998).Google Scholar