Face Tracking and Recognition from Stereo Sequence
In this paper, we present a face recognition system that is able to detect, track and recognize a person walking toward a stereo camera. Integrating stereo and intensity pairs, pose can be detected and tracked. Face images, which are suitable for recognition, from stereo sequence can be selected automatically based on the pose. Then the straightforward Fisherface is carried out on the selected face images. Results of the tracking and recognition depict that this video based stereo approach provides a more robust performance since the 3D information is considered.
KeywordsFace Recognition Face Image Gesture Recognition Stereo Camera Face Recognition System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bouguet, J.-Y., Girod, B.; Gokturk, S.B.; Tomasi, C.: Model-based face tracking for view independent facial expression recognition, Proceedings Fifth IEEE International Conference on Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition, 20–21 May (2002), 272–278.Google Scholar
- Birchfield, S.: An elliptical head tracking using intensity gradients and color histograms, Proceedings IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, Santa Barbara, California, 232–237, June (1998).Google Scholar
- Choudhury, T., Clarkson, B., Jebara, T., and Pentland, A.: Multimodal: Person recognition using unconstrained audio and video, Proceedings International Conference on Audio and Video Based Person Authentication, 176–181, (1999).Google Scholar
- Etemad, K., and Chellappa, R.: Face Recognition using Discriminant Eigenvectors, Proc., International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, Atlanta, GA, May (1996), 2148–2151.Google Scholar
- Howell A. J., and Buxton, H.: Towards unconstrained face recognition from image sequences, Proceedings Second IEEE International Conference on Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition, (1996), 224–229.Google Scholar
- Konolige, K.: Small Vision Systems: Hardware and Implementation. Eighth International Symposium on Robotics Research, Hayama, Japan October (1997). http://www.ai.sri.com/~konolige.
- Li, Y., Gong, S. and Liddell, H.: Video-based online face recognition using identify surfaces, Second International Workshop on Recognition, Analysis and Tracking of Faces and Gestures in Real-time, 40–46, Vuncouver, Canada, July (2001).Google Scholar
- Steffens, J., Elagin, E., and Hart N.: PersonSpotter-Fast and robust system for human detection, tracking and recognition, Proceedings Third IEEE International Conference on Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition, (1998), 516–521.Google Scholar
- Wexhsler, H., Kakkad, V., Huang, J., Gutta, S. and Chen, V.: Automatic videobased person authentication using RBF network, Proceedings International Conference on Audio-and Video-based Person Authentication, 85–92, (1997).Google Scholar