Parametric Analysis of Main Motion to Study the Regional Wall Motion of the Left Ventricle in Echocardiography
Parameters which are related to the wall motion of the left ventricle are estimated from the time signal amplitude curves of the pixels of an echocardiographic image sequence. They yield parametric images, which are interpreted by clinicians. Factor analysis of the left ventricle in echocardiography is such a method. Its theoretical limits are first listed. To overcome them, a generalized method, the parametric analysis of main motion (PAMM), is proposed in this paper. The new parameters are computed as the projections of the time signal amplitude curves on a set of curves, which are generated by translation and scale transformations of a mother curve. This mother curve represents a generic motion curve. The PAMM method has been tested on a simulated sequence and applied to patients. Results demonstrate the theoretical interest of the method and show its potential contribution to clinical studies.
KeywordsWall Motion Parametric Image Doppler Tissue Image Left Bundle Branch Block Mean Transit Time
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mor-Avi, V., Vignon P., Koch R., et al.: Segmental analysis of color kinesis images: new method for quanti.cation of the magnitude and timing of endocardial motion during left ventricular systole and diastole. Circulation 95 (1997) 2082–2097.Google Scholar
- 2.Sutherland, G.R., Stewart M.J., Groundstroem K.W. et al.: Color Doppler myocardial imaging: a new technique for the assessment of myocardial function. J. Am. Soc. Echocardiogr. 7 (1994) 441–458.Google Scholar
- 6.Ledesma-Carbayo, M.J., Kybic J., Suhling M., et al.: Cardiac ultrasound motion detection by elastic registration exploiting temporal coherence. In: Proceedings of 2002 IEEE ISBI, (Washington D.C.) 585–588.Google Scholar
- 9.Frouin F., Delouche A., Abergel E., Raffoul H., Diebold H., Diebold B.: Factor analysis of left ventricular contraction disorders at echocardiography. J. Radiol. 83 (2002) 1835–1841.Google Scholar
- 11.Cerqueira M.D., Weissman N.J., Dilsizian V., et al.: Standardized myocardial segmentation and nomenclature for tomographic imaging of the heart. Int. J. Cardiovasc. Imaging. 18 (2002) 539–542.Google Scholar