Measuring Myocardial Deformations in Tagged MR Image Sequences Using Informational Non-rigid Registration
We address the problem of quantifying myocardial deformations from tagged MRI sequences. We develop a two-step method comprising (i) a motion estimation step using a novel variational non rigid registration technique based on generalized information measures, and (ii) a measurement step, yielding local and segmental deformation parameters over the whole myocardium. Experiments performed on healthy and pathological data originating from various imaging devices demonstrate that this method delivers, within a reasonable computation time and in a robust and fully unsupervised way, reliable measurements for normal subjects and provide quantitative pathology-specific information.
KeywordsMutual Information Myocardial Deformation Reasonable Computation Time Radial Contraction Dense Displacement
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.L. Axel, L. Dougherty, “MR imaging of motion with spatial modulation of magnetization”, Radiology, 1989, 171(3):841–845.Google Scholar
- 4.J. Declerck, “Etude de la dynamique cardiaque par analyse d’images tridimensionnelle”, Ph.D. Dissertation Université de Nice-Sophia-Antipolis, France, 1997.Google Scholar
- 5.S.N. Gupta, J.L. Prince, S. Androutsellis-Theotokis, “Bandpass Optical Flow for Tagged MRI”, Proceedings of IEEE ICIP, San Diego, CA, 1997, 3:364–367.Google Scholar
- 6.M. Guttman, J.L. Prince, E.R. McVeigh, “Tag and contour detection in tagged MR images of the left ventricle”, IEEE TMI, 1994, 13(1):74–88.Google Scholar
- 7.G. Hermosillo, “Variational methods for multimodal image matching”, Ph.D. Dissertation Université de Nice-Sophia-Antipolis, France, 2002.Google Scholar
- 8.D. Kraitchman, A. Young, C.N. Chang, L. Axel, “Semi-Automatic Tracking of Myocardial Motion in MR Tagged Images”, IEEE TMI, 1995, 14(3):422–433.Google Scholar
- 9.S. Kumar, D. Goldgof, “Automatic tracking of SPAMM grid and the estimation of deformation parameters from cardiac MR images”, IEEE TMI, 1994, 13:122–132.Google Scholar
- 10.F. Maes, A. Collignon, D. Vandermeulen et al., “Multimodality image registration by maximization of mutual information”, IEEE TMI, 1997, 16(2):187:198.Google Scholar
- 11.C. Petitjean, N. Rougon, F. Prêteux, “Non rigid image registration using generalized information measures”, Research Report 02001 INT, France, March 2002.Google Scholar
- 12.J.L. Prince, E.R. McVeigh, “Motion estimation from tagged MR images sequences”, IEEE TMI, 1992, 11(2):238–249.Google Scholar
- 13.C. Petitjean, N. Rougon, F. Prêteux, Ph. Cluzel, Ph. Grenier “A non rigid registration approach for measuring myocardial contraction in tagged MRI using exclusive f-information”, To appear in Proceedings of ICISP’ 2003.Google Scholar
- 16.E. Zerhouni, D. Parish, W. Rogers et al., “Human heart: Tagging with MR imaging-A method for non invasive assessment of myocardial motion”, Radiology, 1988, 169(1):59–63.Google Scholar