Construction of a Cardiac Motion Atlas from MR Using Non-rigid Registration
In this paper we present a technique for constructing a cardiac motion atlas using the myocardial motion fields derived from 4D MR image sequences of a series of subjects. This is achieved by transforming the motion field of each subject into a the coordinate system of a reference subject, and then averaging the transformed fields to give a vector field representing the mean motion of the heart. The motion fields of each subject are calculated by registering each of the frames in the sequence of tagged short-axis and long-axis MRI images to the end-diastolic frame using a non-rigid registration technique based on multi-level free-form deformations. The end-diastolic untagged short-axis images of each subject, which are acquired shortly after the tagged images, are registered to the corresponding image of a designated reference subject using non-rigid registration to determine reference-subject mappings, which are then used to transform the corresponding motion fields into that of the reference subject. Finally, the mean transformed motion field is calculated to give the cardiac motion atlas.
KeywordsMotion Vector Normalise Mutual Information Cardiac Motion Motion Field Reference Subject
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.American Heart Association. Heart and stroke statistical update. http://www.americanheart.org/, 2002.
- 2.E. A. Zerhouni, D. M. Parish, W. J. Rogers, A. Yang, and E. P. Shapiro. Human heart: Tagging with MR imaging-a method for noninvasive assessment of myocardial motion. Radiology, 169(1):59–63, 1988.Google Scholar
- 3.L. Axel and L. Dougherty. MR imaging of motion with spatial modulation of magnetization. Radiology, 171(3):841–845, 1989.Google Scholar
- 4.R. Chandrashekara, R. H. Mohiaddin, and D. Rueckert. Analysis of myocardial motion in tagged MR images using non-rigid image registration. In Proc. SPIE Medical Imaging 2002: Image Processing, San Diego, CA, February 2002. In press.Google Scholar
- 5.A. Rao, G. I. Sanchez-Ortiz, R. Chandrashekara, M. Lorenzo-Valdes, R. Mohiaddin, and D. Rueckert. Comparison of cardiac motion across subjects using non-rigid registration. In Fifth Int. Conf. on Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention (MICCAI’02), pages 722–729, 2002.Google Scholar
- 9.J. A. Schnabel, D. Rueckert, M. Quist, J. M. Blackall, A. D. Castellano Smith, T. Hartkens, G. P. Penney, W. A. Hall, H. Liu, C. L. Truwit, F. A. Gerritsen, D. L. G. Hill, and D. J. Hawkes. A generic framework for non-rigid registration based on non-uniform multi-level free-form deformations. In Fourth Int. Conf. on Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention (MICCAI’ 01), pages 573–581, Utrecht, NL, October 2001.Google Scholar
- 10.D. Perperidis, A. Rao, M. Lorenzo-Valdes, R. Mohiaddin, and D. Rueckert. Spatio-temporal alignment of 4d cardiac mr images. In Second International Workshop on Functional Imaging and Modeling of the Heart, 2003. Submitted.Google Scholar