Mobility Management Scheme for Reducing Location Traffic Cost in IMT-2000 Networks
In International Mobile Telecommunication-2000 (IMT-2000) networks, the location management method to which has been used has a structural drawback: as the number of users increase, Home Location Register (HLR) should be used in the third generation Mobile Networks (MNs). In this paper we propose a new mobile management where the trace of mobile terminals is left in the Visitor Location Registers (VLRs), so that a call can be connected by querying only to the VLRs rather than to the HLR when the terminal-terminated- call occurs. The proposed method distributes messages to VLRs and effectively reduces mobility management cost. In the number results, the proposed scheme shows the improvement.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.F. Akyildiz, J, McNair, J, Ho, H. Uzunalioglu, W. Wang, “Mobility Management in Current and Future Communication Networks”, IEEE Network, Jul./Aug., 1998, pp. 39–49Google Scholar
- 2.EIA/TIA IS-41.3, “Cellular Radio Telecommunications Intersystem Operations”, Technical Report (Revision B), July 1991.Google Scholar
- 4.J. S. M. Ho and I. F. Akyildiz, “Local Anchor Scheme for Reducing Location Tracking Costs in CNs”, Proceeding of ACM MOBICOM’95, Nov. 1995, pp. 181–194Google Scholar
- 5.J. Z. Wang, “A Fully Distributed Location Registration Strategy for Universal Personal Communication Systems”, IEEE Personal Comm., First Quarter 1994, pp. 42–50Google Scholar
- 6.X. Qui and V. O. K. Li, “Performance Analysis of PCS Mobility Management Database System”, Proceeding of USC/IEEE Int’l Conf. Com. Com., and Networks, Sept. 1995Google Scholar
- 7.C. Eynard, M. Lenti, A. LOmbardo, O. Marengo, S. Palazzo, “Performance of Data Querying Operations in Universal Mobile Telecommunication System (UMTS)”, Proceeding of IEEE INFOCOM’ 95, Apr. 1995, pp. 473–480Google Scholar
- 8.Y. Bing Lin and S. Y. Hwang, “Comparing the PCS Location Tracking Strategies”, IEEE Trans. Vehicle. Tech., Vol.45, No. 1, Feb. 1996Google Scholar
- 9.N. Shivakumar, J. Jannink and J. Widom, “Per-User Profile Replication in Mobile Environments: Algorithms, Analysis, and Simulation results”, Mobile Networks and App. 2, 1997, pp. 129–140Google Scholar
- 10.R. Jain and Y.-B. Lin, “An Auxiliary User Location Strategy Employing Forwarding Pointers to Reduce Network Impacts of PCS”, ACM-Baltzer J. of Wireless Network, July 1995Google Scholar
- 12.L. Kleinrock, “Queuing Systems”, Vol. 1, Wiley-Interscience, 1975Google Scholar
- 13.S. Mohan and R. Jain, “Two User Location Strategies for Personal Communications Services”, Proceeding of IEEE Personal Com., First Quarter 1994, pp. 42–50Google Scholar