Secure and Scalable Mobile IP Registration Scheme Using PKI
Mobile IP gets its firm position as a layer-3 mobility protocol for the 3rd generation and beyond the 3rd generation communication system. Nevertheless, due to the security defects caused by adapting MIP for real service, several systems such as AAA infrastructure have been introduced. On the other hand, PKI infrastructure is considered to be a core standard infrastructure to handle the authentication and secure channel for the present and future network. In this paper, we suggest a secure registration scheme with authentication using PKI infrastructure. Suggested scheme produces less static key management overhead compared with legacy scheme and supports the previously deployed standard authentication infrastructure. Especially, it has a feature that supports mobile communication system. Secure re-distribution of dynamic session key using asymmetric key and the optimized authentication roundtrip time for handoffs shows such a feature.
KeywordsMobile Node Mobile Agent Authentication Scheme Home Agent Home Network
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- TIA/EIA TR45.6, “cdma2000 Wireless IP Network Standard”, TIA Standard, June 2002.Google Scholar
- MWIF SG, “Network Reference Architecture MTR-004 R2.0, MTSG, June 2002.Google Scholar
- Charles E. Perkins, Pat R. Calhoun, “ AAA Registration Keys for Mobile IP”, draft-ietf-mobileip-aaa-key-10.txt. October 2002.Google Scholar
- C. E. Perkins, “IP Mobility Support for IPv4”, RFC3344, August 2002Google Scholar
- Pat R. Calhoun, Tony Johansson, Charles E. Perkins, “ Diameter Mobile IPv4 Application”, draft-ietf-aaa-diameter-mobileip-13.txt, October 2002Google Scholar
- Jacobs, Belgard, “Mobile IP Public Key Based Authentication”, Internet Draft, July 2001Google Scholar
- Diana Berbecaru, Antonio Lioy, Marius Marian, “Security Aspects in Standard Certificate Revocation Mechanisms”, ISCC 2002, March 2002Google Scholar
- A. Malpani, R. Housley, T. Freeman, “Simple Certificate Validation Protocol (SCVP)”, draft-ietf-pkix-scvp-10.txt, October 2002Google Scholar