On Employing Hierarchical Structure in PCS Networks
Since the location update process requires heavy signaling traffics, reducing the location update cost has been a critical research issue. This paper proposes to employ hierarchical structure in PCS networks to reduce the location update cost. The paper also develops analytical models to evaluate the performance of the proposed approach. The evaluation shows that the proposed approach reduces the location update costs by reducing the update rate of the home location register. The reduction of the location update cost becomes larger when the degree of hierarchy is larger, the size of location area is smaller, and the average residual time of mobile users is smaller.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- D. C. Cox, “Wireless personal communications: what is it?”, IEEE Pers. Comm, pp. 20–35, April 1995.Google Scholar
- Y. B. Lin and S. K. DeVries, “PCS network signaling using SS7”, IEEE Personal Comm. Mag., pp. 44–55, June 1995.Google Scholar
- K. S. Meier-Hellstem and E. Alonso, ‘The use of SS7 and GSM to support high density personal communications’, IEEE ICC/SUPERCOMM’ 92, pp. 1698–1702, June 1992Google Scholar
- N. E. Kruijt, D. Sparreboom, F. C. Schoute, and R. Prasad “Location Management Strategies for Cellular Mobile Networks”. Electronics & Communication Engineering Journal, April 1998.Google Scholar
- D. Chung, H. Choo, and H. Y. Youn, “Reduction of Location Update Traffic Using Virtual Layer in [PCS, ” Intl. Conf. On Parallel Processing, pp. 331–338, Sept. 2001.Google Scholar
- D. Chung, H. Choo, H. Y. Youn, and J. K. Park, “Enhanced Virtual Layer Scheme for Mobility Management in PCS Networks,” IEEE Intl. Conf. on Parallel and Distributed Processing Techniques and Applications, vol. 4, pp. 2218–2224, June 2001.Google Scholar
- T. P. Chu and S. S. Rappaport, “Overlapping Coverage with Reuse Partitioning in Cellular Communication Systems”, IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Technology, vol.46, no. 1, Feb. 1997.Google Scholar
- S. Tabbane, “Location management methods for third-generation mobile systems,” IEEE Comm. Mag., pp. 72–84, August 1997.Google Scholar
- In-Hye Shin, “Location Management Scheme Using Hierarchical Architecture in PCS,” Master’s Thesis, Cheju National Univ. Korea, June 2002.Google Scholar