A Framework for Supporting Interoperability of Data Warehouse Islands Using XML
- 671 Downloads
Providing integrated access to islands of data warehouses has become one of the leading issues in data warehouse research and industry. This paper presents a framework for providing interoperability of distributed, heterogeneous, and autonomous data warehouses based on a federated approach. We focus on schema integration using XML, which offers significant benefits for interoperability, since it is a standardized, vendor and platform independent format for data and - in our case - metadata exchange.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Anderson, R., Birbeck, M., Kay, M., Livingstone, S., Loesgen, B., Martin, D., Mohr, S., Ozu, N., Peat, B., Pinnock, J., Stark, P., William, K.: Professional XML. Wrox Press Ltd., January 2000.Google Scholar
- 2.Albrecht, J., Guenzel, H., Lehner, W.: An Architecture for Distributed OLAP. Conference Parallel and Distributed Processing Techniques and Applications (PDPTA), Las Vegas, USA, July 13-16, 1998.Google Scholar
- 3.Albrecht. J., Lehner, W.: On-Line Analytical Processing in Distributed Data Warehouses. International Databases Engineering and Applications Symposium (IDEAS), Cardiff, Wales, U.K, July 8-10, 1998.Google Scholar
- 4.Bauer, A., Lehner, W.: The Cube-Query-Language (CQL) for Multidimensional Statistical and Scientific Database Systems. Proceedings of the 5th. International Conference on Database Systems for Advanced Applications (DASFAA), Melbourne, Australia, April 1-4, 1997.Google Scholar
- 5.Eckerson, W.W.: Data Warehousing in the 21st. Century. The Data Warehousing Institute, 2000. http://www.dw-institute.com/
- 6.Fowler, M., Scott, K.: UML Distilled A Brief Guide to the Standard Object Modeling Language. Addison Wesley, 2000.Google Scholar
- 8.Gardarin, G., Finance, B., Fankhauser, P.: Federating Object-Oriented and Relational Databases: The IRO-DB Experience. Proceedings of the 2nd. IFCIS International Conference on Cooperative Information System (CoopIS’97), 1997.Google Scholar
- 9.Garcia-Molina, H., Labio, W., Wiener, J.L., Zhuge, Y.: Distributed and Parallel Computing Issues in Data Warehousing. In Proceedings of ACM Principles of Distributed Computing Conference, 1999. Invited Talk.Google Scholar
- 10.Hümmer,-W., Albrecht, J., Günzel, H.: Distributed Data Warehousing Based on CORBA. IASTED International Conference on Applied Informatics (AI’2000, Innsbruck, Austria, February 2000.Google Scholar
- 11.Meta Data Coalition. Metadata Interchange Specification (MDIS) Version 1.1, August 1997.Google Scholar
- 12.Meta Data Coalition. Open Information Model. Version 1.1, August 1999. http://www.mdcinfo.com/.
- 13.Sheth, A.P., Larson, J.A.: Federated Database Systems for Managing Distributed, Heterogeneous, and Autonomous Databases. ACM Computing Surveys, Vol. 22,No. 3, September 1990.Google Scholar
- 14.Wiederhold, G.: Mediators in the Architecture of Future Information Systems. The IEEE Computer Magazine, March 1992.Google Scholar
- 15.Busse, R., Frankhauser, P., Neuhold, E.J.: Federated Schemata in ODMG. Proceedings of the second International East-West Database Workshop, Klagenfurt, Austria, September 1994.Google Scholar