A Framework for Supporting Interoperability of Data Warehouse Islands Using XML
Providing integrated access to islands of data warehouses has become one of the leading issues in data warehouse research and industry. This paper presents a framework for providing interoperability of distributed, heterogeneous, and autonomous data warehouses based on a federated approach. We focus on schema integration using XML, which offers significant benefits for interoperability, since it is a standardized, vendor and platform independent format for data and - in our case - metadata exchange.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Anderson, R., Birbeck, M., Kay, M., Livingstone, S., Loesgen, B., Martin, D., Mohr, S., Ozu, N., Peat, B., Pinnock, J., Stark, P., William, K.: Professional XML. Wrox Press Ltd., January 2000.Google Scholar
- 2.Albrecht, J., Guenzel, H., Lehner, W.: An Architecture for Distributed OLAP. Conference Parallel and Distributed Processing Techniques and Applications (PDPTA), Las Vegas, USA, July 13-16, 1998.Google Scholar
- 3.Albrecht. J., Lehner, W.: On-Line Analytical Processing in Distributed Data Warehouses. International Databases Engineering and Applications Symposium (IDEAS), Cardiff, Wales, U.K, July 8-10, 1998.Google Scholar
- 4.Bauer, A., Lehner, W.: The Cube-Query-Language (CQL) for Multidimensional Statistical and Scientific Database Systems. Proceedings of the 5th. International Conference on Database Systems for Advanced Applications (DASFAA), Melbourne, Australia, April 1-4, 1997.Google Scholar
- 5.Eckerson, W.W.: Data Warehousing in the 21st. Century. The Data Warehousing Institute, 2000. http://www.dw-institute.com/
- 6.Fowler, M., Scott, K.: UML Distilled A Brief Guide to the Standard Object Modeling Language. Addison Wesley, 2000.Google Scholar
- 8.Gardarin, G., Finance, B., Fankhauser, P.: Federating Object-Oriented and Relational Databases: The IRO-DB Experience. Proceedings of the 2nd. IFCIS International Conference on Cooperative Information System (CoopIS’97), 1997.Google Scholar
- 9.Garcia-Molina, H., Labio, W., Wiener, J.L., Zhuge, Y.: Distributed and Parallel Computing Issues in Data Warehousing. In Proceedings of ACM Principles of Distributed Computing Conference, 1999. Invited Talk.Google Scholar
- 10.Hümmer,-W., Albrecht, J., Günzel, H.: Distributed Data Warehousing Based on CORBA. IASTED International Conference on Applied Informatics (AI’2000, Innsbruck, Austria, February 2000.Google Scholar
- 11.Meta Data Coalition. Metadata Interchange Specification (MDIS) Version 1.1, August 1997.Google Scholar
- 12.Meta Data Coalition. Open Information Model. Version 1.1, August 1999. http://www.mdcinfo.com/.
- 13.Sheth, A.P., Larson, J.A.: Federated Database Systems for Managing Distributed, Heterogeneous, and Autonomous Databases. ACM Computing Surveys, Vol. 22,No. 3, September 1990.Google Scholar
- 14.Wiederhold, G.: Mediators in the Architecture of Future Information Systems. The IEEE Computer Magazine, March 1992.Google Scholar
- 15.Busse, R., Frankhauser, P., Neuhold, E.J.: Federated Schemata in ODMG. Proceedings of the second International East-West Database Workshop, Klagenfurt, Austria, September 1994.Google Scholar