An Experimental Performance Evaluation of Incremental Materialized View Maintenance in Object Databases
- 653 Downloads
The development of techniques for supporting incremental maintenance of materialized views has been an active research area for over twenty years. However, although there has been much research on methods and algorithms, there are surprisingly few systematic studies on the performance of different approaches. As a result, understanding of the circumstances in which materialized views are beneficial (or not) can be seen to lag behind research on incremental maintenance techniques. This paper presents the results of an experimental performance analysis carried out in a system that incrementally maintains OQL views in an ODMG compliant object database. The results indicate how the effectiveness of incremental maintenance is affected by issues such as database size, and the complexity and selectivity of views.
KeywordsElapse Time Database Size Virtual View Object Database Query Answering
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. A. Ali, A.A.A. Fernandes, and N.W. Paton. Incremental Maintenance of Materialized OQL Views. In Proc. 3rd DOLAP, pages 41–48. ACM Press, 2000.Google Scholar
- 2.M. Carey, D.J. DeWitt, and J.F. Naughton. The OO7 Benchmark. In Proc. SIGMOD, pages 12–21, 1993.Google Scholar
- 3.R.G.G. Cattell, editor. The Object Database Standard: ODMG 3.0. Morgan Kaufmann, 2000.Google Scholar
- 4.G.K.Y. Chan, Q. Li, and L. Feng. Design and Selection of Materialized Views in a Data Warehousing Environment: A Case Study. In Proc. DOLAP, pages 42–47, 1999.Google Scholar
- 5.S. Cluet and C. Delobel. A General Framework for the Optimization of Object-Oriented Queries. In Proc. SIGMOD, pages 383–392, 1992.Google Scholar
- 6.L. Fegaras and D. Maier. Optimizing Object Queries Using an Effective Calculus. ACM TODS, 25(4), 2000.Google Scholar
- 7.A. Gupta and I.S. Mumick, editors. Materialized Views: Techniques, Implementations, and Applications. The MIT Press, 1999. ISBN 0-262-57122-6.Google Scholar
- 8.Eric N. Hanson. A Performance Analysis of View Materialization Strategies. In ACM Press, editor, Proc. SIGMOD, pages 440–453, 1987.Google Scholar
- 9.H. Kuno and E. Rudensteiner. Incremental Maintenance of Materialized Object-Oriented Views in MultiView: Strategies and Performance Evaluation. IEEE TKDE, 10(5):768–792, 1998.Google Scholar
- 10.C. Zhang and J. Yang. Genetic Algorithm for Materialized View Selection in Data Warehouse Environments. In Proc. DaWaK, pages 116–125, 1999.Google Scholar