Risk-Management for Data Warehouse Systems
Data warehouse projects are notoriously difficult to manage and many of them end in failure. One explanation for the high failure rate is that managers are not taking prudent measures to assess and manage the risks involved in the data warehouse project. In this paper we introduce the goaldriven risk management approach of the easyREMOTEDWH framework. We classify the risks of a data warehouse system into categories of risk sources and discuss their consequences to the data warehouse project. Further, we show the relevance of risks to the go/no-go decision of the data warehouse project. Finally, we present an approach for documenting data warehouse risks.
KeywordsRisk Management Risk Statement Software Project Enterprise Architecture Risk Action
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Boehm, B.W.: Theory-W software project Management: principles and examples, IEEE Trans. Softw. Eng. 15, 1989Google Scholar
- 2.Boehm, B.W.: Software Risk Management: Principles and Practices, IEEE, 1991Google Scholar
- 3.Charette, R.N.: Software Engineering Risk Analysis and Management, Intertext, New York, 1989Google Scholar
- 4.Garvey, P.R.; Phair, D.J., Wilson, J.A.: An Information Architeture for Risk Assessment and Management. IEEE, 1997Google Scholar
- 5.Jones, C.: Assessment and Control of Software Risks, Prentice-Hall, 1994Google Scholar
- 6.Keil, M.; Cule, P.E.; Lyytinen, K.; Schmidt, R.C.: A Framework for Identifying Software Project Risks, ACM, Nov. 1998Google Scholar
- 7.Kontio, J.: The Riskit Method for Software Risk Management, Computer Science Technical Reports, University of Maryland, 1997Google Scholar
- 8.List, B.; Schiefer, J.; Tjoa, AM.: Use Case Driven Requirements Analysis for Data Warehouse Systems, Data Warehousing 2000, FriedrichshafenGoogle Scholar
- 9.Pandelios, G.: Software Risk Evaluation and Team Risk Management, SEPG Conference, Pittsburgh, PAGoogle Scholar
- 10.Wiegers, Karl, E.: Software Requirements, Microsoft Press, 1999Google Scholar
- 11.Williams, R.C.; Walker, J.A.; Dorofee, A.J.: Putting Risk Management into Practice, Software Engineering InstituteGoogle Scholar