Lifting-Based Reversible Transforms for Lossy-to-Lossless Wavelet Codecs
Reversible transforms applied in wavelet coder to realize lossy-to-lossless compression are considered in this paper. 1-D wavelet transform possible to be customized in part of nowadays JPEG2000 standard is optimized to increase an efficiency of the first lossy phase of compression process. Different classes of reversible transforms were analyzed, evaluated in experiments, and compared one another in a sense of effectiveness, complexity and possibility of further optimization. Suitable selection of reversible wavelet transform can increase effectiveness of the coder even up to 2.7 dB of PSNR for 0.5 bpp in comparison to standard 5/3 transform. New reversible transform generated with lifting scheme was proposed. It overcomes all other in both phases of lossy-to-lossless compression (up to 0.4 dB of PSNR in comparison to the state-of-art transforms of JPEG2000 standardization process). Therefore, an efficiency of reversible wavelets can be comparable to irreversible wavelets effectiveness in several cases of lossy compression.
Keywordswavelet coding integer-to-integer transform lifting scheme
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.SO/IEC: JPEG 2000 image coding system. JPEG 2000 Part I Final Draft International Standard (August 2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Sablatnig, J., Seiler, R., Jung, K.: Report on Transform Core Experiment: Compare the lossy performance of various reversible integer wavelet transforms. In: JTC 1/SC 29/WG1N915, 1998Google Scholar
- 7.Deslauriers, G., Dubuc, S.: Interpolation dyadique. In Fractals, dimensions non entiéres et applications. Masson, Paris (1987) 44–55.Google Scholar
- 10.Strang, G., Nguyen, T.: Wavelets and filter banks, Wellesley-Cambridge Press (1996).Google Scholar
- 13.Adams, M.D., Kharitonenko, I., Kossentini, F.: Report on Core Experiment CodEff4: Performance Evaluation of Several Reversible Integer-to-Integer Wavelet Transforms in the JPEG-2000 Verification Model (Version 2.1). In: ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29/WG 1 N 1015, 1998Google Scholar
- 15.LeGall, D., Tabatabai, A.: Sub-band coding of digital images using symmetric short kernel filters and arithmetic coding techniques. In: Proc. Of IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Process., 2 (1988) 761–764Google Scholar