MPEG-7 MDS Content Description Tools and Applications
In this paper, we present the tools specified by the MDS part of the MPEG-7 standard for describing multimedia data such as images and video. In particular, we focus on the description tools that represent the structure and semantics of multimedia data to whose development we have actively contributed. We also describe some of our research prototype systems dealing with the extraction and application of MPEG-7 structural and semantic descriptions. These systems are AMOS, a video object segmentation and retrieval system, and IMKA, an intelligent multimedia knowledge application using the MediaNet knowledge representation framework.
KeywordsMPEG-7 multimedia content descriptor retrieval system
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Benitez, A. B., Chang, S.-F.: Validation Experiments on Structural, Conceptual, Collection, and Access Description Schemes for MPEG-7, Digest of the IEEE 2000 International Conference on Consumer Electronics (ICCE-2000), Los Angeles, CA, June 13–15 (2000)Google Scholar
- 2.Benitez, A. B., Smith, J. R.: New Frontiers for Intelligent Content-Based Retrieval, Proceedings of the IS&T/SPIE 2001 Conference on Storage and Retrieval for Media Databases, Vol. 4315, San Jose, CA, Jan. 24–26 (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Benitez, A. B., Smith, J. R., Chang, S.-F.: MediaNet: A Multimedia Information Network for Knowledge Representation, Proceedings of IS&T/SPIE 2000 Conference on Internet Multimedia Management Systems, Vol. 4210, Boston, MA, Nov. 6–8 (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.MPEG MDS Group, ‘Text of ISO/TEC 15938-5 FCD Information Technology-Multimedia Content Description Interface-Part 5 Multimedia Description Schemes”, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11 MPEG01/M7009, Singapore, March (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.MPEG, Working Documents for MPEG-7 Standard, http://www.cselt.it/mpeg/working_documents.htm.
- 6.Chang, Y. C, Lo, M. L., Smith, J. R.: Issues and solutions for storage, retrieval, and search of MPEG-7 documents, Proceedings of IS&T/SPIE 2000 Conference on Internet Multimedia Management Systems, Vol. 4210, Boston, MA, Nov. 6–8 (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, Special Issue on MPEG-7, June (2001)Google Scholar