Color Thinning with Applications to Biomedical Images
A scheme for cell extraction in color histological images based edge detection and thinning is considered. An algorithm for thinning of color images is proposed that is based on thinning of pseudo gray-scale image. To extract accurately gray-scale levels, we propose a new coordinate system for color representation: system PHS, where P is a vector of color distance, H is a hue (chromaticity), S is a relative saturation. This coordinate system allows one to take into account specifics of histological images. Comparison of image thinning in other coordinate color systems is given that shows the image thinning in PHS system produces a rather high-quality skeleton of the objects in a color image. The proposed algorithm was tested on the histological images.
Keywordsimage thinning color spaces biomedical images
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Ablameyko, S., Lagunovsky, D.: Image processing: technologies, methods and applications. Minsk, IEC (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Garrido, A., Perez de la Blanca, N.: Applying deformable templates for cell image segmentation. Pattern Recognition Letters 22 (2000) 821–832Google Scholar
- 5.Jianfeng, L., Shijin, L., Jingyu, Y., Leijian, L., Anguang, H., Keli, L.: Lung cancer cell recognition based on multiple color space. Proceedings of SPIE 7 (1998) 378–386Google Scholar
- 6.Kim, J., Gillies, D.: Automatic morphometric analysis of neural cells. International Journal of Machine graphics and vision 7 (1998) 693–710Google Scholar
- 7.Kurugollu, F., Sankur, B.: Color cell image segmentation using pyramidal constraint satisfaction neural network. Proceedings of IAPR Workshop on Machine Vision Applications (1998) 85–88Google Scholar
- 9.Nedzved, A.M., Ablameyko, S.V.: Thinning of gray scale images in medical image processing. Pattern Recognition and Image Analysis 8 (1998) 436–438Google Scholar
- 11.Plataniotis, K.N., Lacroix, A., Venetsanopoulos, A.: Color image processing and applications. Springer-Verlag (2000)Google Scholar