Texture Feature Extraction and Classification
This paper describes a novel technique for texture feature extraction and classification. The proposed feature extraction technique uses an Auto-Associative Neural Network (AANN) and the classification technique uses a Multi-Layer Perceptron (MLP) with a single hidden layer. The two approaches such as AANN-MLP and statistical-MLP were investigated. The performance of the proposed techniques was evaluated on large benchmark database of texture patterns. The results are very promising compared to other techniques. Some of the experimental results are presented in this paper.
Keywordspattern recognition feature extraction neural networks
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Niblack, W.: The QBIC Project: Querying Images by Content using Color, Texture and Shape. SPIE Proceedings of Storage and Retrieval for Color and Image Video Databases, (1993) 173–187Google Scholar
- 4.Rubner, Y., Tomasi, C: Texture Matrices. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, San-Diego, USA (1998) 4601–4607Google Scholar
- 6.Brodatz, P.: Textures: A Photographic Album for Artists and Designers. Dover Publications, New York (1996)Google Scholar
- 7.Ma, W., Manjunath, B.: Texture Features and Learning Similarity. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, San Francisco, USA (1996)Google Scholar
- 8.Jones, D., Jackway, P.: Using Granold for Texture Classification. In: Fifth International Conference on Digital Image Computing, Techniques and Applications Perth, Australia (1999) 270–274Google Scholar