The Coefficient Based Rate Distortion Model for the Low Bit Rate Video Coding
A low bit rate video coding requires strict buffer regulations and low buffer delay. Thus a macroblock level rate control is necessary. However, an MB-level rate control is costly at low bit rates since there is an additional overhead if the quantization parameter is changed frequently within a frame. This paper presents the rate distortion model that selects the number of significant coefficients to code in a macroblock. To do this we derive the model for rate and distortion in terms of the number of encoded coefficients with pre-computed quantization accuracy. Rate-Distortion trade-off is solved then by the Lagrange optimization and the formula is obtained that indicate how many coefficients should be coded.
KeywordsVideo coding rate distortion optimization H.263 MPEG-4 quantization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ribas-Corbera, J., Lei S.: Rate Control in DCT Video Coding for Low Delay Communications. IEEE Trans.On Ciruts and Sys.for Video Tech. 9(1) (1999)Google Scholar
- Lee, H.-J., Chiang, T., Zhang T.-Q.: Scalable Rate Control for MPEG-4 Video. IEEE Trans.On Ciruts and Sys.for Video Tech. 10(6) (2000)Google Scholar
- Shapiro, J.M.: Embedded Image Coding Using Zerotrees of Wavelet Coefficients. IEEE Trans. Signal Proc. 41(12) (1993)Google Scholar
- Said, A. and Pearlman, W.A.: A new fast and efficient image codec on set partitioning in hierarchical trees. IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. Video Tech. 6 (1996)Google Scholar
- Marphe, D., Cyclon H.L.: Very Low Bit Rate Video Coding Using Wavelet-Based Techniques. IEEE Trans.On Ciruts and Sys.for Video Tech. (1997)Google Scholar
- ITU-T, Video coding for low bitrate communication. ITU-T Recommendation H.263, version 1, Nov. (1995), version 2, Jan. (1998)Google Scholar
- Cote, G., Erol, B., Gallant, M., Kosentini, F.: H.263+:Video Coding at Low Bit Rates. IEEE Trans.On Ciruts and Sys.for Video Tech. 8(7) (1998)Google Scholar
- Sullivan, G.J., Wiegand, T.: Rate-Distortion Optimization for Video Compression. IEEE Sig. Proc. Mag., Nov. (1998)Google Scholar
- Mallat, S., Falzon, F.: Analysis of Low Bit Rate Image Transform Coding. IEEE Trans.Sig. Proc, April (1998)Google Scholar
- Siemek, G.: Rate-distortion optimization of arbitrary set of embedded wavelet coders for low bit rate video compression. Recpad, Portugal, Porto (2000)Google Scholar
- Siemek, G.: The SPIHT coder implementation for low bit rate video coding. Accepted to ICASSP2001, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, 7–11 May (2001)Google Scholar