Optical Flow in Log-mapped Image Plane
In this article we propose a novel approach to compute the optical flow directly on log-mapped images. We propose the use of a generalized dynamic image model (GDIM) based method for computing the optical flow as opposed to the brightness constancy model (BCM) based method. We introduce a new notion of “variable window” and use the space-variant form of gradient operator while computing the spatiotemporal gradient in log-mapped images for a better accuracy and to ensure that the local neighborhood is preserved. We emphasize that the proposed method must be numerically accurate, provides a consistent interpretation and is capable of computing the peripheral motion. Experimental results on both the synthetic and real images have been presented to show the efficacy of the proposed method.
KeywordsOptical Flow Image Motion Angular Error Average Relative Error Variable Window
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K. Daniilidis, C. Krauss, M. Hansen, G. Sommer: Real-time tracking with moving objects with an active camera. J. of Real-time Imaging, Academic Press, (1997). 252, 254Google Scholar
- 3.K. Daniilidis, V. Krüger: Optical flow computation in the log-polar plane. Technical report, CAIP, (1995). 252Google Scholar
- 4.K. Daniilidis: Computation of 3d-motion parameters using the log-polar transform. Technical report, CAIP, (1995). 252Google Scholar
- 7.R. J. Woodham: Multiple light source optical flow. In: the Proceed. of Internat. Conf. on Computer Vision, Osaka, Japan, (Dec. 1990).Google Scholar
- 11.P. Anandan: Measuring visual motion from image sequences, PhD thesis, University of Massachussetts, Amherst, MA, (1987). 253Google Scholar
- 12.A. B. Watson, A. J. Ahumada: A look at motion in the frequency domain. In: Motion: perception and representation, J. K. Tsotsos (ed.), (1983) 1–10. 253Google Scholar
- 14.E. L. Schwartz: Computational studies of spatial architecture of primate visual cortex. Vol 10, Chap. 9, Plenum, New York, (1994) 359–411. 253Google Scholar