Demonstrating Real-time JPEG Image Compression-Decompression using Standard Component IP Cores on a Programmable Logic based Platform for DSP and Image Processing
This paper describes the successful implementation of a hardware demonstrator for real-time JPEG standard colour image compression and decompression at picture refresh rates up to 25 frames per second using an FPGA-centric processing platform and design-reusable application-specific IP cores. The FPL device programming netlists for both JPEG encode and decode are directly derived from commercially available semiconductor Intellectual Property (IP Core) designs for Motion-JPEG applications; the target FPL devices form the core processing element in a commercial off-the-shelf reconfigurable module-based hardware platform for DSP and image processing applications. Performance metrics are presented for Xilinx Virtex and Altera APEX devices, and compared with semicustom ASIC implementations.
KeywordsJoint Photographics Expert Group Speed Grade Joint Photographics Expert Group Image Compress Image Data Variable Length Decoder
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.ISO 10918 (ISO/IEC) “Digital Compression and Coding of Continuous Tone Still Images (JPEG)”Google Scholar
- 2.Institute for System Level Integration (ISLI), Livingston, Scotland, UK. URL http://www.sli-institute.ac.uk
- 3.J. McCanny, D. Ridge, Y. Hu, J. Hunter “Hierarchical VHDL Libraries for DSP ASIC Design” ICASSP 1997, pp 675–678Google Scholar
- 4.A Jerraya, H. Ding, P. Kission, M. Rahmouni “Behavioural Synthesis and Component Reuse with VHDL” Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1997Google Scholar
- 5.V. Bhaskaran, K. Konstantinides “Image and Video Compression Standards” Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1997Google Scholar
- 6.D. Bursky, “Accelerating system designs by leveraging Intellectual Property”, Microelectronics Design, Vol. 2, No. 1, Feb 1998Google Scholar
- 7.Nallatech Limited: “DIME-The Module Standard for FPGAs” URL http://www.nallatech.com
- 8.J. Hunter, J. McCanny “Rapid Design of Discrete Cosine Transform Cores” IEE Colloquium (Digest), 1998, No. 197, pp. 5/1–5/6Google Scholar