A n-Bit Reconfigurable Scalar Quantiser
A reconfigurable scalar quantiser capable of accepting n-bit input data is presented. The data length n can be varied in the range 1... N-1 under partial-run time reconfiguration, p-RTR. Issues as improvement in throughput using this reconfigurable quantiser of p-RTR against RTR for data of variable length are considered. The quantiser design referred to as the priority quantiser PQ is then compared against a direct design of the quantiser DIQ. It is then evaluated that for practical quantiser sizes, PQ shows better area usage when both are targeted onto the same FPGA. Other benefits are also identified.
KeywordsField Programmable Gate Array Systolic Array Scalar Quantiser Comparator Design FPGA Resource
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Bolotski M., DeHon A. and Knight T. “Unifying FPGAs and SIMD Arrays,” in 2nd Int. ACM/SIGDA Workshop on FPGAs, Berkeley, USA, Feb. 13–15, 1994.Google Scholar
- 5.Benyamin D., Luk W. and Villasenor J. “Optimizing FPGA-based vector product design,” in IEEE Symp. on FPGAs for Custom Computing Machines, Napa Valley, USA, Apr. 21–23, 1999.Google Scholar
- 6.Wirthlin M. J. and Hutchings B. L. “Improving functional density through runtime constant propagation,” in ACM/SIGDA Int. Symp. Field Programmable Gate Arrays, Monterey, USA, pp. 86–92, Feb. 1997.Google Scholar
- 7.O. Cadenas, G. Megson and T. Plaks, “Quantitative evaluation of three reconfiguration strategies on FPGAs: A case study,” in Proc. of the HPC-Asia 2000 Beijing, China, May 14-17 2000, pp. 337–342.Google Scholar
- 9.D. A. Patterson and J. L. Hennessy. Computer Organization and Design. The hardware/software interface. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, 1994.Google Scholar
- 10.Hutchings B. L. and M. J. Wirthlin “Implementation approaches for reconfigurable logic applications” in saField Programmable Logic and Applications LNCS 975 pp. 419–428. Springer, 1995.Google Scholar
- 11.Delgado-Frias J. G. and Nyathi J. “A quantitative analysis of reconfiguration coprocessors for multimedia applications,” in IEEE Eigth Great Symp. on VLSI Lafayette, Louisiana, Feb. 1998, pp. 59–64.Google Scholar
- 12.Xilinx: XC6000 Field Programmable Gate Array, 1996.Google Scholar
- 15.Xilinx: Xact Step, Series 6000, User Guide, 1997.Google Scholar
- 16.Xilinx:32 × 16 reconfigurable correlator for the XC6200, July 1997, Application Note XAPP 084.Google Scholar