Configuration Caching and Swapping
Speedups of coupled processor-FPGA systems over traditional microprocessor systems are limited by the cost of hardware reconfiguration. In this paper we compare several new configuration caching algorithms that reduce the latency of reconfiguration. We also present a cache replacement strategy for a 3-level hierarchy. Using the techniques we present, total latency for loading the configurations is reduced, lowering the configurable overhead.
KeywordsCache Size Virtual Memory Cache Replacement Replacement Algorithm Total Latency
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Doug Burger, Todd M. Austin, and Steve Bennett. Evaluating future microprocessors: The simplescalar tool set. Technical Report CS-TR-1996-1308, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1996.Google Scholar
- 4.P. Cao and S. Irani. Cost-aware www proxy caching. In Proceedings of the 1997 USENIX Symposium on Internet Technology and Systems, pages 193–206. USENIX, Dec. 1997.Google Scholar
- 6.S. Irani. Page replacement with multi-size pages and applications to web caching. In Proceedings of the 29th Symposium on the Theory of Computing, pages 701–710, 1997.Google Scholar
- 7.S. Hauck K. C. Compton, Z. Li. Configuration caching techniques for fpga. In IEEE Symposium on FPGAs for Custom Computing Machines. IEEE, 2000.Google Scholar
- 8.W. H. Mangione-Smith M. Potkonjak, C. Lee. Mediabench: a tool for evaluating and synthesizing multimedia and communications systems. In Proceedings of MICRO-30, 1997.Google Scholar
- 9.E. J. Schwabe S. Hauck, Z. Li. Configuration compression for xilinx xc6200 fpga. In IEEE Symposium on FPGAs for Custom Computing Machines. IEEE, 1998.Google Scholar
- 10.A. Johnson S. Trimberger, D. Carberry and J. Wong. A time-multiplexed fpga. In IEEE Symposium on FPGAs for Custom Computing Machines. IEEE, 1997.Google Scholar
- 11.Sudhir, Nath, and Goldstein. Configuration caching and swapping. Technical report, CMU, 2001.Google Scholar
- 12.R. Wilson, R. French, C. Wilson, S. Amarasinghe, J. Anderson, S. Tjiang, S.-W. Liao, C.-W. Tseng, M. Hall, M. Lam, and J. Hennessy. SUIF: An infrastructure for research on parallelizing and optimizing compilers. In ACM SIGPLAN Notices, volume 29, pages 31–37, December 1994.Google Scholar
- 13.N. Young. Online file caching. Technical Report PCS-TR97-320, Dartmouth College, 1998.Google Scholar
- 14.S. Hauck Z. Li. Configuration prefetch for single context reconfigurable co-processors. In International Symposium on Field-Programmable Gate Arrays, pages 65–74, Feb. 1998.Google Scholar