A Mobile Agent Prototype for Distributed Search
In this paper, we propose a mobile agent platform as an alternative to a message passing approach to solve a distributed search problem. The search problem is analyzed from two different perspectives, the single travelling agent case and the multiple travelling agents case. We conduct several experiments to measure the performance of the mobile agent solutions as well as the stationary agents for different network topologies and observe that the multiple agents approach performs better when the number of nodes in the network increases. The tree topology, in particular, gives the best overall performance among all topologies considered.
KeywordsStationary Agent Mobile Agent Local Neighbour Message Passing Average Execution Time
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Brewington, B., Gray, R., Moizumi, K.: Mobile Agents in Distributed Information Retrieval. Intelligent Information Agents (1999) 355–395.Google Scholar
- 2.Cabri, G., Leonardi, L., Zambonelli, F.: Mobile-Agent Coordination Models for Internet Applications. Computer (2000) 82–89.Google Scholar
- 4.Deugo, D., Weiss, M.: Agent Patterns, Tutorial. International Symposium on Agent Systems and Applications and The International Symposium on Mobile Agents and the Dartmouth Workshop on Transportable Agents (1999).Google Scholar
- 5.Falchuk, B., Karmouch, A.: A Mobile Agent Prototype for Autonomous Multimedia Information Access, Interaction and Retrieval. Proceedings Multimedia Modelling (1997) 33–48.Google Scholar
- 6.Johansen, D., Marzullo, K., Lauvset, K.J: An Approach towards an Agent Computing Environment. ICDCS Workshop on Middleware, Department of Computer Science, University of Troms, Norway (1998).Google Scholar
- 7.Johansen, D., Renesse, R. V., Schneider, F. B.: An Introduction to the TACOMA Distributed System Version 1.0. Technical Report 95-23, Department of Computer Science, University of Troms, Norway (1995).Google Scholar
- 8.Outtagarts, A., Kadoch, M.: Client-Server and Mobile Agent: Performances Comparative Study in the Management of MIBs. Proceedings of the First International Workshop on Mobile Agents for Telecommunication Applications (1999) 69–81.Google Scholar
- 9.Rubinstein, G., Duarte, M. G.: Evaluating the Performance of Mobile Agents in Network Management. Global Telecommunication Conference (1999) 386–390.Google Scholar
- 10.Velazquez, E.: Mobile Agents in Distributed Search: A Comparative Study. M. C.S Thesis, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada (2001).Google Scholar
- 11.Wooldridge, M., Jennings, N. R.: Intelligent agents: Theory and practice. The Knowledge Engineering Review 10 (1995).Google Scholar