A Policy Management System for Mobile Agent-Based Services
In the Multimedia and Mobile Agent Research Laboratory an underway work is conducted toward combining management policies and Mobile Agents in the area of collaborative applications. The goal is to have a collaborative system thoroughly based on agents and highly flexible and dynamically manageable through multi-level policies. Towards this objective, we have designed a global framework to support policies. This framework is used to define, store and evaluate policies defined through multiple levels of the collaborative system. Moreover, the policies are distributed judiciously over the application. This paper describes the Policy management System we have elaborated and illustrates its integration with the V-Team system through several examples.
KeywordsMobile Agent Resource Description Framework Virtual Team Policy Enforcement Policy Decision Point
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.FIPA Domains and Policies Specification, Foundation for Intelligent Physical Agents, February 2001. Available: http://www.fipa.org/specs/fipa00089/.
- 3.IETF Policy Framework Working Group. Policy Terminology Internet Draft. March 2001. Available: http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-policy-terminology-02.txt.
- 4.M.N. Huhns, “Agent Teams: Building and Implementing Software”, IEEE Internet Computing, February 2000.Google Scholar
- 5.J. D. Moffett, Specification of Management Policies and Discretionary Access Control, chapter 17, pages 455–481, In IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 11 No. 9, , June 1994.Google Scholar
- 6.N. Damianou, N. Dulay, E. Lupu, M Sloman: Ponder: A Language for Specifying Security and Management Policies for Distributed Systems, Imperial College Research Report DoC 2001, Oct. 2000.Google Scholar
- 7.E. Lupu and M. Sloman Conflict Analysis for Management Policies, Fifth IFIP/IEEE International Symposium on Integrated Network Management IM’97, San-Diego, May 1997, Chapman & Hall Publishers, pp 430–443.Google Scholar
- 8.M. Sloman. & J.D. Moffett, Domain Management for Distributed Systems, In Proc of the IFIP Symposium on Integrated Network Management, May 1989 pp 505–516.Google Scholar
- 11.Nortel Networks. Optivity Policy Services for the Entreprise, Product Brief Feb. 2000.Google Scholar
- 12.Edwards, W. K. Policies and Roles in Collaborative Applications. In Proc. ACM CSCW’96, Nov.16–20, Boston, MA, USA, pp. 11–20.Google Scholar
- 13.Damian Marriot and Morris Sloman. Implementation of a Management Agent for Interpreting Obligation Policies. In IEEE/IFIP 7th International Workshop on Distributed Systems and Operations Management-DSOM’96, L’Aquila, Italy, October 1996.Google Scholar
- 14.Koch, T., Krämer, B., (1996) Rules and Agents for Automated Management of Distributed Systems, IEE/BCS/IOP Distributed Systems Engineering, Special Issue on Management, Vol 2, June 1996.Google Scholar