Time and Message Optimal Leader Election in Asynchronous Oriented Complete Networks
We consider the problem of leader election in asynchronous oriented N-node complete networks. We present a leader election algorithm with O(N) message and O(log logN) time complexity. The message complexity is optimal and the time complexity is the best possible under the assumption of message optimality.
The best previous leader election algorithm for asynchronous oriented complete networks by Singh  achieves O(N) message and O(logN) time complexity.
KeywordsTime Complexity Leader Election Complete Network Message Complexity Ring Distance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Awerbuch, B.: Optimal distributed algorithms for minimal weight spanning tree, counting, leader election and related problems. In Proc. ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, ACM, New York, 1987, pp. 230–240.Google Scholar
- 2.Burns, J.E.: A formal model for message passing systems. Technical Report TR-91, Computer Science Department, Indiana University, Bloominggton, Sept. 1980.Google Scholar
- 3.Dobrev, S.-Ružička, P.: Linear broadcasting and N log log N election in unoriented hypercubes. In Proc. of SIROCCO’97, Carleton Press, Ascona, Switzerland, 1997, pp. 52–68.Google Scholar
- 4.Dobrev, S.-Ružička, P.: Yet Another Modular Technique for Efficient Leader Election. Proc. of SOFSEM’98, LNCS 1521, Springer-Verlag, 1998, pp. 312–321.Google Scholar
- 5.Dobrev, S.: Time and Message Optimal Election in Oriented Hypercubes. Submitted to SWAT’2000.Google Scholar
- 8.Gallager, R. G.-Humblet, P.A.-Spira, P. M.: A distributed algorithm for minimum-weight spanning trees. ACM Trans. Programming Languages and Systems 5, 1983, pp. 66–77.Google Scholar
- 14.Peterson, G.L.: Efficient algorithms for elections in meshes and complete neworks. Technical Report TR140 Dept. of Computer Science, Univ. of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14627, 1985.Google Scholar
- 17.Santoro, N.-Widmayer, P.: Distributed function evaluation in presence of transmission faults, in Proc. of SIGAL’90, Tokyo, 1990; LNCS 450, Springer Verlag, 1990, pp. 358–369.Google Scholar
- 19.Tel, G.: Linear Election in Oriented Hypercubes. Parallel Processing Letters 5, 1995, pp. 357–366.Google Scholar