Restricted Nondeterministic Read-Once Branching Programs and an Exponential Lower Bound for Integer Multiplication
Branching programs are a well established computation model for Boolean functions, especially read-once branching programs have been studied intensively. In this paper the expressive power of nondeterministic read-once branching programs, i.e., the class of functions representable in polynomial size, is investigated. For that reason two restricted models of nondeterministic read-once branching programs are defined and a lower bound method is presented. Furthermore, the first exponential lower bound for integer multiplication on the size of a nondeterministic nonoblivious read-once branching program model is proven.
KeywordsBoolean Function Turing Machine Communication Complexity Expressive Power Boolean Variable
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ajtai, M. (1999). A non-linear time lower bound for Boolean branching programs. Proc. of 40th FOCS, 60–70.Google Scholar
- 3.Bollig, B., Sauerhoff, M., Sieling, D., and Wegener, I. (1993). Read-k times ordered binary decision diagrams. Efficient algorithms in the presence of null chains. Tech. Report 474, Univ. Dortmund.Google Scholar
- 11.Hromkovič, J. (1997). Communication Complexity and Parallel Computing. Springer.Google Scholar
- 12.Hromkovič, J. and Sauerhoff, M. (2000). Communications with restricted nondeterminism and applications to branching program complexity. Proc. of 17th STACS, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 1770, 145–156.Google Scholar
- 13.Jain, J., Abadir, M., Bitner, J., Fussell, D. S., and Abraham, J. A. (1992). Functional partitioning for verification and related problems. Brown/MIT VLSI Conference, 210–226.Google Scholar
- 14.Kushilevitz, E. and Nisan, N. (1997). Communication Complexity. Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- 17.Sauerhoff, M. (1999). Computing with restricted nondeterminism: The dependence of the OBDD size on the number of nondeterministic variables. Proc. of 19th FST & TCS, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 1738, 342–355.Google Scholar
- 18.Savický, P. and Sieling, D. (2000). A hierarchy result for read-once branching programs with restricted parity nondeterminism. Preprint.Google Scholar
- 20.Thathachar, J. (1998). On separating the read-k-times branching program hierarchy. Proc. of 30th Ann. ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing (STOC), 653–662.Google Scholar
- 21.Wegener, I. (1987). The Complexity of Boolean Functions Wiley-Teubner.Google Scholar
- 22.Wegener, I. (2000). Branching Programs and Binary Decision Diagrams-Theory and Applications SIAM Monographs on Discrete Mathematics and Applications. In print.Google Scholar