Adding Extensible Synchronisation Capabilities to the Agent Model of a FIPA Compliant Agent Platform
In this paper, we present an agent platform, called JADE (Java Agent Development Environment), that tries to ease development applications in compliance with the FIPA specifications. Moreover, we describe an extension to JADE original agent model that allows expressing agent synchronisation constraints better and provides wider foundations to build higher-level agent architecture on. JADE agent model is more “primitive” than the agent models offered by other systems, and mainly deals with message handling and plan scheduling. Exploiting research results about concurrent OO languages, JADE agent model has been extended in a way that solves the inheritance anomaly problem and will be useful to JADE users when they will create more complex agents.
KeywordsAgent Model Software Agent Agent Platform Agent Communication Language Directory Facilitator
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- L. Crnogorac and A. S. Rao. Inheritance by extensions and restrictions in agent systems. In Proc. ACSC’97, Sidney, Australia, 1997.Google Scholar
- T. Finin and Y. Labrou. KQML as an agent communication language. In: J.M. Bradshaw (ed.), Software Agents, pp. 291–316. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1997.Google Scholar
- E. J. Friedman-Hill. Jess, The Java Expert System Shell. Sandia National Laboratories, Livermore, CA. 1999. http://herzberg1.ca.sandia.gov/jess/.
- E. Gamma, R. Helm, R. Johnson and J. Vlissides. Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object Oriented Software. Addison Wesley, 1995.Google Scholar
- E. A. Kendall. Agent Oriented Software Engineering with Role Modelling. In this volume.Google Scholar
- D. Kerr, D. O’sullivan, R. Evans, R. Richardson and F. Somers. Experiences using Intelligent Agent Technologies as a Unifying Approach to Network and Service Management. In Proc. of IS&N 98, Antwerp, Belgium. 1998.Google Scholar
- G. Lavender and D. Schmidt. Active Object: An object behavioural pattern for concurrent programming. In J. M. Vlissides, J. O. Coplien, and N. L. Kerth, Eds. Pattern Languages of Program Design. Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA, 1996.Google Scholar
- D. Lea. Concurrent Programming in JavaTM: Design Principles and Patterns. Addison Wesley. 1996.Google Scholar
- A. D. Lux and D. Steiner. Understanding Cooperation: an Agent’s Perspective. In Proc. ICMAS’95. San Francisco, USA. 1995.Google Scholar
- D. L. Martin, A. J. Cheyer and D. B. Moran. The Open Agent Architecture: A Framework for Building Distributed Software Systems. Applied Artificial Intelligence. 1998.Google Scholar
- S. Matsuoka and A. Yonezawa. Analysis of Inheritance Anomaly in Object-Oriented Concurrent Programming Languages. In G. Agha, P. Wegner and A. Yonezawa, Eds. Research directions in Concurrent Object-Oriented Programming, pp. 107–150. The MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1993.Google Scholar
- H. S. Nwana, D. T. Ndumu and L. C. Lee. ZEUS: An advanced Tool-Kit for Engineering Distributed Multi-Agent Systems. In: Proc of PAAM98, pp. 377–391, London, U.K., 1998.Google Scholar
- Object Management Group. 95-11-03: Common Services. 1997. http://www.omg.org
- R. S. Patil, R. E. Fikes, P. F. Patel-Scheneider, D. McKay, T. Finin, T. Gruber and R. Neches. The DARPA knowledge sharing effort: progress report. In: Proc. Third Conf. on Principles of Knowledge Representation and Reasoning, pp 103–114. Cambridge, MA, 1992.Google Scholar
- A. S. Rao and M. P. Georgeff. BDI agents: from theory to practice. In Proc. of the First Int. Conf. On Multi-Agent Systems, pp. 312–319, San Francisco, CA, 1995.Google Scholar
- Reticular Systems. Agent Construction Tools. 1999. http://www.agentbuilder.com
- Reticular Systems. AgentBuilder-An integrated Toolkit for Constructing Intelligence Software Agents. 1999. http://www.agentbuilder.com
- M. Straßer, J. Baumann and F. Hohl (1997): Mole-A Java based Mobile Agent System. In: M. Mühlhäuser: (ed.), Special Issues in Object Oriented Programming. dpunkt Verlag, pp. 301–308, 1997.Google Scholar
- H. Suguri. COMTEC Agent Platform. 1998. http://www.fipa.org/glointe.htm.
- S. R. Thomas. The PLACA Agent Programming Language. In M. J. Wooldrige & N. R. Jennings (Eds.), Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence, pp. 355–370. Springer-Verlag, Berlin. 1994.Google Scholar
- M. Wood and Scott A. DeLoach. An Overview of the Multiagents Systems Engineering Methodology. In this volumeGoogle Scholar
- N. Yoshioka, Y. Tahara, A. Ohsuga, S. Honiden. Safety and Security in Mobile Agents. In this volume.Google Scholar