Internet Advertising: Market Structure and New Pricing Methods
- 692 Downloads
In this paper the Internet advertising market is analyzed. Data and estimates confirm that the Web represents a real threat to television and newspapers. Therefore, the main characteristics of the advertising market are described in order to point out the differences between Internet and traditional mass media. In particular, pricing methods appear to be the most peculiar innovation carried out by on-line advertisers. It is shown how these new business models may substantially change the quantity of advertising which maximizes web publishers’ profits.
KeywordsMarket Structure Fourth Quarter Price Method Advertising Medium Internet Advertising
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Chatterjee, P., Hoffman, D.L., Novak, T.P.: Modeling the Clickstream: Implications for Web-Based Advertising Efforts. Rutgers University, Department of Marketing, May (1998).Google Scholar
- 3.Hackner, J., Nyberg, S.: Price Competition, Advertising and Media Market Concentration. Paper presented at the 25th Annual Conference of E.A.R.I.E., Copenaghen, (1998).Google Scholar
- 4.Internet Advertising Bureau: Internet Advertising Revenue Report; 1999 Fourth Quarter Results. Pricewaterhouse Coopers, New Media Group (2000).Google Scholar
- 5.Kalakota, A., Whinston, R.: The Economics of Electronic Commerce. Addison Wesley Longman Inc. (1999).Google Scholar
- 6.Kehoe, M.R.: The Choice of Format and Advertising Time in Radio Broadcasting. PhD. dissertation, University of Virginia (1996). 310Google Scholar
- 7.Masson, R. T., Mudambi, R., Reynolds, R.J.: Oligopoly in Advertiser-Supported Media. Quarterly Review of Economics and Business, 30(2), (1990) 3–16.Google Scholar
- 8.Owen, B.M., Wildman, S.S.: Program Competition, Diversity, and Multichannel Bundling in the New Video Industry. In: Regulation, Economics, and Technology, Noam Eli-M. ed., Columbia University Press, New York, (1985) 244–273.Google Scholar
- 9.Silk, A.J., Klein, L.R., Berndt, E.R.: Restructuring in the U.S. Advertising Media Industry. Paper presented at the Second Berlin Internet Conference, Berlin (Germany) (1999).Google Scholar
- 10.Snyder, B.: Pay-Per-Lead Makes Inroads as Online Ad Pricing Method. Advertising Age, 69, March (1998).Google Scholar
- 13.Stewart, D.W., Furse, D.H.: Effective Television Advertising. Lexington, MA: Lexington Books (1986).Google Scholar
- 14.Wool, A.: Pricing Web Site Advertising. Advertising Media Internet Center, April (1996).Google Scholar